Adobe Photoshop CS4 Installation Help

Reaction score
Every time I try to install Photoshop CS4 on my Macbook Pro it says to remove CS3 or previous programs. I've deleted all of the Photoshop files I could find (except for a few .PSDs of projects I'm working on) but I can't get it installed.

I've downloaded a CleanApp to see if I have any Photoshop stuff hidden anywhere but I just can't figure out what the problem is.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Try backing up your photoshop projects to an external drive. There must be some files still on the machine for these to work so that appears where the probelem would be.

Do you still have CS3 discs with the uninstaller?

OP
Z
Reaction score
I moved the PSDs to a CD and deleted them off the computer, but it still didn't work. They open with ColorSync Utility, which isn't Adobe (as far as I know), so I don't see how they'd matter if they're on the computer or not.

But either way, I'm at a loss.:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
All can suggest is trying to reinstall CS3, download AppTrap and drag CS3 to the trash after AppTrap is up and running?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G
You can have both installed at the same time, so not sure why there is a conflict between the two versions. I have been using CS4 Photoshop for a few weeks now, but still rely on CS3 for a lot of plugins that aren't yet supported in CS4, also the new features and speed of CS4 Bridge is worth the upgrade alone if you use it at any stage in your workflow.

I'd say start by removing CS4, there is a "CS4 Removal" script included in the app folder somewhere, use this. Then go back and re-install CS3, get that working again, then see if you can install CS4 without trying to remove CS3, as they should be able to both be installed o the same machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.4GHz 320GB 4GB Ram ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory
Chiming in with MacBurg

You are entitled to run both CS3 and CS4 simultaneously so the original error message is a mystery. You might want to call the PS help desk? Or send them and email?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.53 Ghz, 4 Gb Ram, 500 Gb HDD
Yeah, that is weird. Im running Photoshop Cs3 and Cs4 at the same time right now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.