Memory help

Reaction score
I am looking to buy an iMac very soon. I think I have decided to go with the 2.8Ghz w/2GB RAM and upgrade the memory myself to 4GB. I have never added memory myself so I'm a bit scared. :Oops: When I look at the third-party sites they offer several different sizes of memory - for ex: 2G and 4G (2x2GB). You may think this is a stupid question but it's all new to me - I have never tried to add memory myself! Why would you buy 4GB package if it already comes with 2GB and can only hold 4GB? What would the purpose of that be? Please someone enlighten me! Thank you!

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
The iMac only has two slots for RAM. Because of the way DDR works it is best to two equal sizes. So the iMac will ship with 2 equal sizes, so the 2GB will have 2x1GB sticks and the 4GB will have 2x2GB sticks.

As for finding the RAM and installing it, it is pretty easy.

YouTube - How to install ram in a iMac (4gb)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.4GHz 320GB 4GB Ram ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory
Kima

You will have to buy 4 as stated and for the reasons stated. As for installing, I am a complete and total idiot and I did it in 5 to 10 minutes. It was no problem.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thank you for your responses! Makes sense now - I'm glad I asked.

Reaction score
Use pliers. Helped me a bunch, I went with the base iMac and bought 4GB of Ram online for $70. Never had any problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.