Problems connecting to wireless...

Reaction score
I have had my macbook for two years now, and have only had this problem since installing leopard. After my macbook has been asleep/closed, when opened back up, it has signal for a few seconds, and then can not see any networks at all unless I am very close to the airport extreme. My partner has the same macbook, and his can see 4 networks while mine can't see any. After about 10 minutes of no signal and no networks available at all, my macbook finally finds the networks and connects with full signal. I will not lose signal again until I close the computer or it goes to sleep for a period of time. Otherwise, I stay connected with full signal. I have had it in to apple, and they can't find the issue cause they can't duplicate the problem. Makes sense since I only have the problem if I am away from the base station. I have had no less than 5 calls to tech support and tried everything possible. Nothing has worked. Like I said, this is a very recent problem and only my computer has it. Anyone else who tries to connect can connect just find from anywhere in our house. Our house is not big. My computer just takes 10+ minutes to find a network, almost like the airport wireless card takes 10 minutes to build enough strength to find a network.

Sorry so long, but any help I can get would be appreciated. Apple will not replace my airport card because they can't duplicate the problem. But it has become a huge problem. Why would I not have signal for 10 minutes after opening, and then full signal with no drops at all? And why now after 2 years of use? Seems obvious to me that it is the wireless card???

Thanks for any help I can get!

OP
I
Reaction score
Problems connecting macbook to wireless...

I have had my macbook for two years now, and have only had this problem since installing leopard. After my macbook has been asleep/closed, when opened back up, it has signal for a few seconds, and then can not see any networks at all unless I am very close to the airport extreme. My partner has the same macbook, and his can see 4 networks while mine can't see any. After about 10 minutes of no signal and no networks available at all, my macbook finally finds the networks and connects with full signal. I will not lose signal again until I close the computer or it goes to sleep for a period of time. Otherwise, I stay connected with full signal. I have had it in to apple, and they can't find the issue cause they can't duplicate the problem. Makes sense since I only have the problem if I am away from the base station. I have had no less than 5 calls to tech support and tried everything possible. Nothing has worked. Like I said, this is a very recent problem and only my computer has it. Anyone else who tries to connect can connect just find from anywhere in our house. Our house is not big. My computer just takes 10+ minutes to find a network, almost like the airport wireless card takes 10 minutes to build enough strength to find a network.

Sorry so long, but any help I can get would be appreciated. Apple will not replace my airport card because they can't duplicate the problem. But it has become a huge problem. Why would I not have signal for 10 minutes after opening, and then full signal with no drops at all? And why now after 2 years of use? Seems obvious to me that it is the wireless card???

Thanks for any help I can get!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Merged crossposts

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.