Boot Camp: Serious Sound Issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1 TB HD, ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB, Bootcamp 3.0
I'm having a number of sound related issues on Bootcamp that may/seem to be associated with the built-in mic. Whenever I turn on the microphone boost, I will occasionally receive and ear-splitting shriek from my computer when adjusting the sound volume. Also, I've somehow caused all the sound output to sound very strange... it's hard to describe. Something like a mix between echoes, darth vader, and turbulence. I am getting similar feedback when I speak to others over voice chat clients. I have been unable to resolve it. What the devil is going on?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Do you have the latest version of the Boot Camp drivers installed (2.1)? There were some bugs in earlier versions with the sound card, as I recall.

OP
nmccready
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1 TB HD, ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB, Bootcamp 3.0
Yes, I have 2.1 (Build 210A12) but I am still experiencing this problem.

OP
nmccready
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I seriously almost went deaf tonight from this terrible sound... probably woke up everyone in my whole apartment complex too. Just an earsplitting screech when I tried to test the microphone with the boost on. This is so bad...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.