Making the change...

Reaction score
I have been a die hard PC gal forever. Just built a machine and am just not happy. I am thinking of buying a Mac and would like to get some answers before I take the plunge.

1. Can I take the HDD's from my PC, put them in enclosures and use them with the Mac? Will that cause problems?

2. What is the deal on refurbs? I'd really like to save some money.

3. Those with PC experience...do you upgrade less often with a Mac than you do a PC?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
1. Yes you can. But there's one small catch. Most Windows HDDs are NTFS formatted. OS X by itself cannot write to an NTFS formatted drive. However, there are a couple software programs out there that give OS X this ability. Not a big deal. The other option is to simply reformat the drives so OS X can read them. This will wipe the data on them though.

2. Apple refurbs look brand new. The only difference is that they are packaged in less fancy brown cardboard boxes. They have the same warranties as new products. If you can find a refurb with the specs you are looking for, then jump on it.

3. Most PC users get frustrated with their PCs when they start to bog down due to all the crap that the Internet deposits on a Windows installation. In many cases, a fresh installation of Windows restores the PC back to its original running condition. However, surprisingly few people seem to want to take the time to do this (it is a pain to find all the correct drivers and reinstall the 8000 security updates). Instead they simply buy new PCs.

Since OS X doesn't really have these issues, OS X users do not see their machine's performance decrease the same way a Windows machine does as it gradually bloats up with spyware and other questionable items over time.

However, Mac users also tend to spend a great deal of time watching what Apple does next. Half the posts on this forum related to upgrading Apple products in some way, not because the upgrade is necessary, but because the users want the latest (most stylish) upgrade. This is in contrast to the Dell user (no offense--I own two) who rarely checks the Dell site to see when the newest line of notebooks comes out, and then orders a new model the same day it is released.

So, yes, SOME Mac users upgrade a lot. But it's by choice, not because of obsoletion or performance issues. For general web browsing, email, etc, there is no reason a Mac purchased today will not still be performing well for you 5 years from now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Just to expand on the excellent explanation by Jaygray

1) The program is known as Paragon NTFS

3) Pretty much dead on the head. I still use my older 2006 MBP and it does everything I want it to, including playing some of the games that are newer (albeit not at full graphics, but not total crap either). But, I still like the newer machines and will be upgrading soon. Mac users do tend to be fairly die hard about Apple products. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
1) You can format them as Fat32 and use them with windows/mac os x or just reformat them under mac as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and use it only with mac os x.
2) Bought 1 iMac new and 1 refurb, will definately buy all future purcahes refurb. as they are actually better than new because (a) Cheaper (b) been throughly checked before you buy them.
3) I was a PC user for 15-20 years and I've lost track of the number of machines that I've built/bought because they were "Upgradable" and ended up spending a small fortune trying to get them to keep up with the latest release of windows or a game. Macintosh computers are quality built and last for years running the next and the next OS with no problems.
I can't see myself buying new macs until at least 7 years.

If you do buy an apple product then please come back and we will be only to happy to assist the transfer to Apple.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! My main use for the computer are photo editing (hobbyist, not professional) and digital scrapbooking. I also do a lot of home movies just for fun of my kids.

The last Apple I owned was an Apple IIc

OP
B
Reaction score
What else will I need to buy with a new Mac? Sorry for all the seemingly dumb questions...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4
Really all you will need is the programs that you want. Mac wasn't lying when they say take out of the box and go. I bought mine about 5 months ago and have been kicking my self for wasting money on PC's. I am converted..... Mac fo life!!

OP
B
Reaction score
I am going to do it! Now I just need to figure out which iMac to buy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
I am going to do it! Now I just need to figure out which iMac to buy!

Refurbished Mac - Apple Store (U.S.)

That's the link to the refurbs on Apple's website. +1 for buying refurbs. Bought a refurbished black macbook, couldn't be happier. Basically brand new when I got it.

You can read more about how they re-certify their product for resell here:

Apple Certified Refurbished Products

You can also still purchase apple care within the first year, if you still feel uneasy about buying a refurbished.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.