Shattered Screen!

Reaction score
I broke the screen on my macbook pro.. I plugged in an external monitor and I can see my mouse cursor there, but I can't see the main screen to login or be able to use system preferences to mirror the desktops.

Is there any key command I can use to make the external monitor my main monitor at startup? or to mirror the desktop at startup? 'Cause I can't afford to have the apple store replace my screen. Any ideas anyone has would be great!! thx,

Rob~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
Plug in your monitor, an external keyboard and mouse, and put the computer to sleep. You can close the screen as you normally would. Then hit a button on the mouse or on the keyboard to wake the computer, and it will automatically default to the main screen and act as a desktop. As long as you leave the lid closed, it will stay that way even after restarting.

Don't worry about heat, since these laptops are designed to run in clamshell mode.

If it won't go to sleep for some reason you can shut it off by holding down the power button for 5 seconds or so, make sure the keyboard, mouse and monitor are connected, then turn it on with the power button and immediately shut the lid.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
No problem. Stick around the forums too, pretty much any question you have about your Mac can be answered here!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.