SMTP problem

CB4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4ghz mac book, 2GB ram, 250GB HD
Hello,

I just bought my first mac the other day and I love it so far. It's a new macbook.

The only issue I have right now is that I cant send mail. I'm using "Mail" as my client.

I've tried every possible SMTP configuration and settings I know how and my messages just sit in the outbox.

I receive messages just fine and I am using the same SMTP server names I use with my PC.

I've probably setup email clients on PC 1000 times with no problem.....I dont know what I'm doing wrong.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
does your ISp block port 25? This is pretty common. What ports are you using in windows?

OP
CB4

CB4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm using port 25 on the PC and I have the mac set to the 3-port option including port 25.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Who is your ISP? I use AT&T DSL and they require you to use their outgoing mail server for all addresses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
do you have authentication setup?

OP
CB4

CB4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Who is your ISP? I use AT&T DSL and they require you to use their outgoing mail server for all addresses.

ISP is charter. domain is hosted with a webhost co.
I've tried charter's smtp and my webhost smtp and they both work on the PC, but neither work on the mac.

Reaction score
Same Problem

I am having exactly the same problem as you with my new Macbook (with the same specs). I have tried Macmail and Thunderbird with every possible combination of settings. And my colleague who has an older Macbook has no problem connecting to the server with the exact same smtp settings through the same internet connection!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do either (both) of you have the firewall turned on? If so, try turning it off.

OP
CB4

CB4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I finally got mine to work by removing the 2 accounts I had setup, starting from scratch again and setting everything up fresh. For some unknown reason, everything works fine now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.