Disk drive crashed while installing Leopard

Reaction score
Hopefully someone can help me with my problem. I put in the disk to install leopard on my macbook. went through everything and it went ok until the actual installation. about half way through it, i could hear my disk drive start making funny noises like it was trying to read the cd but kept stopping, this went on for about a couple hours while the progress bar froze and the spinning wheel sat there. Finally I had no other choice but to manually turn off the macbook. after a couple restarts the OS ran and I was able to make my way through the set up and use the macbook, but now it takes at least 3 or 4 minutes to boot and I cannot use my disk drive, if I put a disk in it tries to read it a couple time and spits it out. any disk, i tried blank cd's, dvd's, dvd's with pictures, music cd, and the Leopard disc again.

So my questions are: 1. Could it be that the disc drive went out during installation, or did the installation not complete and that is causing problems with the disc drive.

and 2. if the disc drive gave out, is that a difficult fix. I have the service plan, but I dont know if that even possible to fix on a macbook.

Thank you, I appreciate any help I can get right now.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like your optical drive may be defective. That would also cause the long delay in boot up as the system is trying to read and validate. If you have applecare, just take it on in or make an appointment to have it replaced.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.