Please help Ibook wont install Tiger!

Reaction score
Hello, my problem is the following, I have an Ibook G3 which Disk Drive is busted. So i'm trying to install Tiger To it (PPC) by using Target Disk or Disk Target (w/e) mode connecting it with my Mac Book Pro. I restored the Ibook with the disk utility on the MBP putting as source the installer for tiger which I ripped off the img file from the the retail version I bought. And so I rstored it to the HD of the Ibook, takes about 15-10min(Maybe less) and done. When I turn on My Ibook it automatically boots into the installing of OS X process. Everything goes smooth until I get to the part that I have to choose the destination but I can't choose anything because the HD for the Ibook won't show, it doesnt show any possible destination for me to save to. I have read the read me files and everything on the software and about the option botton on the "destination" part but the botton cannot be selected. I read something about the formatt of the Ibook for tiger to work and I have it in "Extended (Jornaled)" and i'm upgrading it from Mac 9 classic, but the drivers for mac 9 aren't installed since I accidentally (w/o knowing) erased everything on the hard drive the first time I did this with the Disk utility.... Please Help me out I just know I'm almost there!!

THANKS A MILLION FOR ALL THAT HELP ME !!! :D:D:D:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Use a Macintosh with DVD drive in FireWire target disk mode for the installation.

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install DVD into the computer with the DVD drive.
2. Shut down both computers.
3. Restart the computer with a DVD drive in target disk mode.
4. Connect the computer with the DVD drive to the computer using a FireWire cable.
5. Turn on the computer without the DVD drive.
6. When that computer starts up, the second computer's hard drive will appear on the first computer's desktop and the Mac OS X Install Disc will also show up on the desktop. Now you can install Mac OS X on the computer without the DVD drive.

OP
L
Reaction score
Soulwar, the problem is the Ibook is wiped clean and wont even get past the grey screen because I accidentally erased the the OS, so the only way it starts is by putting the installer. It actually boots it but theres no destination.

As for the other let me get this straight. I put the MBP in target disk mode? but how is that helpfull if i cant even see the disk utility on the other side since its wiped clean?

Thnx for reply

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Using FireWire mode, without the install disk 1st, will allow you to format it. Make sure it's using APM not GUID. (also, extended/journaled) then follow what I posted before.
If it doesn't, then the HDD could be bad or you're not using a retail (PPC) install disk. (black not gray disk)
FireWire disk mode will allow you to bypass the broken optical drive. Give it a try.

OP
L
Reaction score
i'm sorry but what is "AMP or Guid" ??

jeh, maybe it's a dumd question but i wanna make sure I got everything in order before I do this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i'm sorry but what is "AMP or Guid" ??

jeh, maybe it's a dumd question but i wanna make sure I got everything in order before I do this.

APM is the default Partition Map Scheme of PowerPC-based Macs. GUID is for Intel-based Macs.

If the Partition Map Scheme is not APM, you will need to reformat the disk with Disk Utility with a Partition Map Scheme of Apple Partition Map (APM).

"You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume..." alert in Installer

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.