UK Question: Where can i get my HDD upgraded?

C

crisrose

Hi all

Well i've had my 1.2Ghz 12" iBook for a few months now, i've already maxxed out the memory and am finding that it's so good, i'm becoming increasingly dependant on what was just meant to be a desktop companion.

Anyways, i was stupid when i bought it, and only got a 30gb HDD, forgetting that the programs would take up space (or something like that, i don't know what posessed me really)

I know i can crack it open and stick any old 2.5 inch ATA 100 HDD in there myself, but i don't fancy killing the warrenty just yet.

Therefore, where can i get the HDD upgraded in a warrenty friendly manner? I'm in West London btw.

Also, as i'm sure this place would have to be Apple approved, will they actually put a HDD in that i've not bought from apple?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but i've done a search and couldn't find anything...

Cheers
--
Cris

OP
C

crisrose

so noone knows anything then?

has anyone actually done this while in warrenty at all?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen
cant you do it at the Applestore?

OP
E

Echo_

good question... best thing is to call them and ask
tell us your response because imcurious about that too
also you can get an external hd

OP
C

crisrose

The apple store in London is well out of my way. I was hoping that there was a list of authorised places you could go to get your Mac fiddled with without killing the warrenty.

And yes, i know i can use an external drive, but it's not as robust (i know because i killed a 200gb one and lost a lot of stuff) and it kind of kills the small form factor and wireless nature of my iBook that are some of it's major features.

I can't believe none of you have had this done before!

Reaction score
I haven't done that either, but I would be very interested in know what apple says about upgrading the HD in an iBook

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.