Folder has disappeared - can I get it back?

Reaction score
A folder containing images has vanished from my Mac Pro Octocore. This has happened to me once before.

It was stored on an additional 500GB hard drive that I had installed in the machine - I use the main 500GB drive for applications, and keep all files on the other internal drive. I have had problems like this with all of my drives in the past though (I also have externals).

I have run searches for the folders, and looked in every place I can think of but they don't seem to exist anymore. How is this possible?!

I am currently running PhotoRescue, but don't hold out much hope - it's never found files that have disappeared in the past.

I'm running the latest Version of OSX 10.5.2

I'm a photographer and had spent most of last night working on these, ready for an order which needed to be sent today.

I've had a lot of problems with the machine since buying it last April. Various applications (everything from Photoshop to Textedit to Finder) will refuse to force quit fully - it'll say that they've quit but they stay illuminated in the dock. Once this has happened, the only way I can shut the machine down is by holding the power button.

I always close all open windows (if possible) before powering down.

I wonder whether this is the cause of my missing folder... I've also had groups of files from within a folder become corrupt.

I'm still quite a Mac novice. Is there a directory I can look in to see where they might be, if they still exist?

Unfortunately, I don't have Applecare, and the 3 month warranty has expired.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Hey Lhollo,

Well hmm.. a couple things first.. the latest version is 10.5.5, so you might want to upgrade and the warranty is a year, not 3 months, when you buy applecare it extends it to 3 years.

Did you have time machine backing up your data?

Also the problems you are having sounds like you might have bad RAM, or a hard drive that is malfunctioning.. although I don't think it's that. My guess is that it's either the RAM or you need to do a reinstall of the OS.

As for getting your file back.. hopefully you had time machine backing up your files.. otherwise.. Im not sure, maybe someone else might have an idea.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.