Memory question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac - OSX 10.5.5 + 13" Macbook - OSX 10.5.5
I'm trying to identify where all the memory is being used up on my 20" iMac.

If I do "Get Info" on my Macintosh HD, it tells me that I am using 192.38 GB of the available 232.57 GB (see attachment - picture 3).

I downloaded Disk Inventory X and the initial window that came up gave me the same information (see attachment - picture 4).

However, when I selected Macintosh HD and pressed Open Volume, the next window tells me that Macintosh HD is using 78.6 GB (see attachment - picture 2).

Can anybody tell me where the other 114 or so GB might be?

Thank you for your help.

Rory

Picture 3.png

Picture 4.png

Picture 2.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13"/2.0Ghz/4GB/80GB/White Macbook
There's a good chance it could be a block count error on your disk.

To diagnose/treat, run verify disk via Disk Utility, if you get a "Invalid block free block count error" while its trying to verify, insert your os x disk and restart, holding down the "C" key on boot, from the boot disk open Disk Utility and run Repair Disk.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I ran a verify disk via Disk Utility and i got the message "The Volume Macintosh HD appears to be OK".

When I first got this iMac I connected it to my old Mac and copied everything across - could this have affected how much free space I have?

Thanks,

Rory

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've found it!

The User from my old computer had been copied across and this was taking up all the space - anyone know why this didn't appear on my Disk Inventory?

Rory

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.