Planned Obseletion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP: 2.53GHz Intel Core 2, 4GB DDR3, OS 10.6.8
Yeah so after almost three years this piece of PIE is dead. Doesn't hold a charge for more than a few minutes, and when I connect it to my iMac the computer doesn't recognize it, while the iPod shows the "Do Not Disconnect" screen. I've tried all the resetting, restarting tricks and yatta yatta. I guess she just ran out of life. :(

(Luckily, I will be replacing her with the new Blackberry later this month when it gets released.. comes standard with 8GB removable storage card :D)

OP
y0itsj0hn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lol i just realized the bashing i might be welcoming by choosing the blackburrrry over the iphone but, removable storage, battery and verizon service can't be beat, sorry

Reaction score
Yeah so after almost three years this piece of PIE is dead. Doesn't hold a charge for more than a few minutes, and when I connect it to my iMac the computer doesn't recognize it, while the iPod shows the "Do Not Disconnect" screen. I've tried all the resetting, restarting tricks and yatta yatta. I guess she just ran out of life. :(

(Luckily, I will be replacing her with the new Blackberry later this month when it gets released.. comes standard with 8GB removable storage card :D)

Atleast you got 3 years out of yours. Mine nearly died after 2 years. My 1G nano also had ~5minutes battery life, scratches everywhere, intermittent computer connectivity, and music playing issues. I guess apple does that on purpose and makes the battery non-removable so they can rob us of our money. I recently replaced it with a touch 8gb 2G and with a (crappy) case, the costs came up to around $275 with taxes. Come on apple. We are almost in a recession and you are forcing us to spend more $$$.

<profane material link removed>

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
I think the non-removable battery has more to do with obsession with thinness and sleekness, which is clearly a selling point for these devices.

OP
y0itsj0hn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think the non-removable battery has more to do with obsession with thinness and sleekness, which is clearly a selling point for these devices.

i think it has to do with the fact that apple doesn't want you to have much access to the device and they'd rather try and sell you another one if they could pass off the dead battery as a defective phone not covered under factory warranty. The fact that this is one of the only phones on the market you can't insure kinda helps this point.

Just my opinion.

OP
y0itsj0hn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have to apologize for saying "you can't insure." I guess I should have been more specific and said "that you can't insure with cellphone insurance of any kind available through Cingular or Apple." Because, you can just, ya know, add the phone to your home owner's insurance, pay an extra fee yearly on your home owner's insurance. That's assuming you a- own a home, b- have home owner's insurance, c- are insured by a company that will agree to cover an electronic device as small as an iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
i think it has to do with the fact that apple doesn't want you to have much access to the device and they'd rather try and sell you another one if they could pass off the dead battery as a defective phone not covered under factory warranty. The fact that this is one of the only phones on the market you can't insure kinda helps this point.

Just my opinion.
I thought this thread was about iPods,not iPhones. Either way, the insurance issue has little to do with passing off a dead battery. The fact this is one of the most expensive phones to make and a bit on the cosmetically delicate side means offering insurance would be a risky business model. Though I've heard Best Buy offers it but I don't know the cost. It's clear to me that user replaceable batteries are not a mainstream concern so I doubt we'll ever see them from Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You do know Apple will replace the battery for about $50, right? And there's kits for around $15 on eBay if you're feeling adventurous and want to try it yourself...

Reaction score
You do know Apple will replace the battery for about $50, right? And there's kits for around $15 on eBay if you're feeling adventurous and want to try it yourself...

Really!! Are the kits on ebay easy to install?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have replaced a few batteries in ipods including the g3 (3rd Generation) and Nano without an issue. Batteries have a life. No battery can last forever. I have used the $15 or around kit Aptmunich is taking about and like I said, no issues. Even my old G3 works like new.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I have replaced a few batteries in ipods including the g3 (3rd Generation) and Nano without an issue. Batteries have a life. No battery can last forever. I have used the $15 or around kit Aptmunich is taking about and like I said, no issues. Even my old G3 works like new.
Yeah, my experiences have been pretty good as well.

I did it with a 3rd gen iPod and first gen iPod mini.

The mini was pretty tricky, but the tools and video instructions in the kit were pretty good. Obviously you risk bricking your iPod, but for the price it was worth it IMO.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.