Newbie question....no mac yet

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a Mac Pro tower machine, but was wondering about the remote.

It was the music access using the album art and and the remote that got me interested in Apple machines in the first place, but a friend that has an Apple laptop told me that the Mac pro tower machines do not come with the remote.
Please tell me this is not true, if it is my main reason for buying a Mac has gone.
I wante a tower rather than the all in one units for the expandability, ....or can you add/remove hard drives, etc in the all in one Mac's as well.

Thanks

Neil

Reaction score
The Mac Pro does not have an IR port and so no remote.
The iMac, MacBook and MacBook Pro however, do.

You can add/remove drives in the Mac Pro easily (See this link for more information on that) but not the iMac.

OP
N
Reaction score
Ah bugger, looks like I'll have to stick with the Windoze machine for now then

Thanks for the quick reply

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.6 Ghz, Ipod 1G, 3G, Nano 3G, Touch 1G, Apple TV 160GB
Ah bugger, looks like I'll have to stick with the Windoze machine for now then

Thanks for the quick reply

Neil - I urge you to consider the iMac. I was in your situation and then saw my friend's iMac.....wow! 20" inches of brushed aluminum Apple goodness! :) You will NOT be sorry and it does have the remote as mentioned.

Reaction score
mac pro are only for really fast extreme proccessing machines. if you're wanted a media pc that can still run any application on the planet well (i think) then get an imac.

OP
N
Reaction score
So with an iMac, can you add/remove memory/ hard drives? other cards etc as you can with the Mac Pro?
I like to keep data (about 500 gig of music /video and pictures ) on separate HDD. My data drives (3 x 750Gig) are in removable front caddys.
One is main,one mirrored backup, and one in storage
Every month I swap drives around with the one in storage.
Also run nightly snapshot backups to network FreeNAS backup box.Have been told this snapshot system is similar to Mac Time Machine.
Yes, I know there are other ways to achieve this, but, would miss the removable drives.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Removable caddies? I remember those...from 15 years ago!

External drives. They work fine with iMacs, or anything else.

Even if you get a Mac Pro or a PC, do yourself a favor and get some external drives. They're portable, dust-enclosed, and can instantly be plugged into any replacement computer if your machine dies and you need to start working quickly.

OP
N
Reaction score
External drives, no thanks. More cables, more boxes, power supply, clutter. Nah I think I will stick to the removable caddies while on the PC. I have two slots and a case of spare caddies from when a local office block was being pulled down.
The PC in question is an old server case with loads of spare drive bays that could still take two more removable caddy trays.I use Windows mostly, but if I want to play around with a linux distro and want to try a full install, I can just pull the boot drive out, stick another in and install to that. I actually keep various other boot HDD's with Windows on as well, so if I want to muck around with some new software, I just swap the boot drive and try out the software without risking the main system.
Was looking at making the data drive caddy hot swap too, using an IDE to USB adapter inside the case connected to the back of the drive bay and an internal USB port Won't bother now though if I do go for a Mac.

Mark, Thanks for the info on the MIRA software and reciever, that looks great.

Just have to save up now, may be a few months yet, but defintely want a MAC.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.