Help with latest problems

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've had my first Mac for about 2 months now. I absolutely hate it. There have been nothing but problems, from printing to navigating the programs to getting online. There aren't enough USB ports, videos don't play the same, and there's no privacy on the machine.

The latest problems that I need help with are:

Using AOL, I go to many sites with video (like ESPN, etc). Instead of the video running, I get a "plug-in" message and cannot see the video. I search around but could not find anything to fix the problem. I don't know if it's a Safari thing or what, but I never had this problem with Explorer.

At least three times a day, my keyboard stops typing. I either have to restart the machine or use my old Windows keyboard.

Any advice on these or on keeping the computer from flying out the window? Thanks.

Reaction score
What kind of Mac did you get? I just got my MBP & have had none of those issues you mentioned. I have ESPN video playing now as I type...in Safari.

Have u tried taking to Apple store or calling Apple Care? Great help there...

Good luck & sorry no solutions from me...I've had no problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
Hi all,
I've had my first Mac for about 2 months now. I absolutely hate it. There have been nothing but problems, from printing to navigating the programs to getting online. There aren't enough USB ports, videos don't play the same, and there's no privacy on the machine.

The latest problems that I need help with are:

Using AOL, I go to many sites with video (like ESPN, etc). Instead of the video running, I get a "plug-in" message and cannot see the video. I search around but could not find anything to fix the problem. I don't know if it's a Safari thing or what, but I never had this problem with Explorer.

At least three times a day, my keyboard stops typing. I either have to restart the machine or use my old Windows keyboard.

Any advice on these or on keeping the computer from flying out the window? Thanks.

Sounds to me that you would be better off going back to windows? Why did you switch anyways? If you hate it, then sell it and get you a windoze laptop/PC. Mac's have a decent resell value.

There is a known issue with the MBP keyboards, depending on how old it is, check this out:

AppleInsider | MacBook, MacBook Pro owners suffer keyboard freezing with Leopard

How many usb ports do you need? If you need more get yourself a USB hub:

Newegg.com - USB

What do you mean "the videos don't play the same?"

What kind of privacy are you looking for? Do you want a pop up every time you click on something asking for your permission to open/run it? Cause I hear Vista is really good about that...

As for not being able to see video, did you install adblock of flashblock? I don't seem to have any problems with my video playback. You should be able to click in the box where the video should be playing and install it from there. I don't really use safari but that's how it it with firefox.

OP
C
Reaction score
I changed over because of how slow my PC was and because everyone I know said Mac would be easier to use and is a better machine. I don't know off the top of my head what kind it was exactly, but I bought it in September from the Mac store. I know that doesn't answer the question, but I include it to show that it's probably the same machine that anyone else has from there.

Videos do not play the same. Meaning, that in order to play most videos, I had to download VPC (I think that's it) for most wmv files. Real media movies don't play at all because I have not downloaded a program for those. Then I ran into the problem with getting the plug-in message through America Online. I have to see if this same message shows up using Safari, but it's annoying that the computer will not recognize those videos no matter which program I'm using to go online.

Safari doesn't even load sometimes because the computer fails to find the router automatically. I have to re-recognize the router in order to get online; the same has happened with the printer, as well. The speed for getting online is no faster than my old PC though.

USB. The keyboard, external HD, iPod, printer, and something I'm forgetting all need to be connected, and sometimes I have other components I want to plug in, like a different external.

My old external has to be replaced because it wasn't formatted for a Mac. Once I formatted it, the machine said that in order to run Time Machine, I would need an external with like 160 bits of memory instead of the 56 external drive that I had. Not a big problem though.

The keyboard is obviously not old, but just stops working. I will try that update that someone offered in the thread.

Privacy, meaning that you need to clear your history, the files you have gone through, and even when all that has been done, one can still see the folders visited upon opening another file. AOL desktop allows anyone to open the program and see you mail and other info. I just don't like the trail that a Mac leaves.

There are some other issues I'm forgetting, but it obviously has not been a smooth transition. I'm not ready to try and sell the thing, but I don't want to continue to work with all of these problems. Any advice would be appreciated on any of these. I wish I had the same positive comments to add like most of you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Are you sure it's not an AOL problem? Some of the problems you mention involve AOL...

"Then I ran into the problem with getting the plug-in message through America Online."
"AOL desktop allows anyone to open the program and see your mail and other info. "

Same could be argued with going online. AOL is not the internet. You have to send a request thru AOL to access the actual internet. (unless they've changed that)

Some of the files you are accessing are Windows based files. Not that the Mac can't handle it, but Microsoft doesn't support their programs on the Mac. (excluding Office, etc..) WMP has been discontinued.
How to play Windows Media Video (WMV) on Mac OS X

I watched ESPN videos this morning with no problems. Make sure you have Flip4Mac installed.
Let us know if this helps.
Remember, you are using a Mac and not Windows. They are different and you have to think as such. If you think it behaves like a Windows machine, you'll get frustrated easily.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0ghz Core Duo 1 Gig Ram 80Gig HD, iMac 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo 1gig RAM 320gig HD
Remember, you are using a Mac and not Windows. They are different and you have to think as such. If you think it behaves like a Windows machine, you'll get frustrated easily.

It sounds like this might be a lot of your problem (obviously excluding the keyboard). You can not expect your mac to work like your old windows pc. Your problems connecting to the internet may be related to your routers, from what I have read some routers dont get along well with macs.

Is this a desktop or a laptop? if you have a desktop with a faulty keyboard you should take it to an apple store so they can check it out.

Also I noticed that you said that your internet is no faster on your mac than on your pc. The problem is that unless your computer before was holding your internet connection back the problem may be with your internet and not your computer (mac or pc)

How many USB ports did your PC have in comparison to your Mac? A USB hub is a simple solution to your problem that was already mentioned

As for privacy it is key to require a password for your user account and if others are using the computer make them their own separate accounts or simply make a guest account. This will allow you to keep your data to yourself while still allowing people to use the computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Having endured AOL for far too long before I switched, I'd say that AOL is probably your biggest problem as for "..USB. The keyboard, external HD, iPod, printer, and something I'm forgetting all need to be connected..." Are you sure you have an Apple mac. Yes you will need to plug in your iPod, Ex HD and printer but the mac should then just find them. Contact Apple.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I'm reading them all and trying to address each problem. Some websites work on Safari, but when I use the AOL browser, they do not and I get that plug-in problem. Can I somehow use Safari within AOL as the web browser?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
My personal opinion? Stop using AOL. To me, it's used for Grandparents and children.
Nothing personal at all, I'm just not a fan of it. It causes more problems than it's worth. (as you're starting to notice)
I would look at other options to access the Internet. IMO, AOL is bloated, intrusive and unecessary. Getting rid of it would probably solve most of your problems.
(again, this is just my opinion)

OP
C
Reaction score
I still hang onto it because of chatting with friends or meeting new people. All of my favorites are there as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0ghz Core Duo 1 Gig Ram 80Gig HD, iMac 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo 1gig RAM 320gig HD
well you can always use your AIM screen name in iChat or download aim for mac. Favorites you may be able to copy over to safari as well, but as others have said AOL is a pretty bloated application when it comes to doing things your wanting, but I also have not used AOL in at least 8-10 years (and i'm only 23 haha)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Can't you just connect to the internet with AOL and then open up Safari? I haven't touched AOL in like almost 10 years as well. >_<"

There are a lot of better ISP around, but I guess it depends where you live. I pay like 20 bucks for DSL now and that's a lot cheaper than what I use to pay for AOL which was Dial up. >_<" Makes me cry when I think about it.

If it bothers you so much using Leopard, why not just install Bootcamp and whatever version of Windows you are comfortable with and just use that? It's pretty much the same as using a Windows machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.