2.4ghz Macbook OR 2.4ghz MB Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP - Core i7 @ 2.66ghz
Hey guys, i'm looking at getting a new laptop and not sure which one i should go with:

1) Macbook w/ 2.4ghz (9400m gfx) - This is the one that im really leaning too. I like the smaller 13.3" screen, and just the overall smaller form factor. I dont need firewire, so that doesn't really bother me.

2) Macbook Pro w/ 2.4ghz (9400m + 256 9600m gfx) - This is the one that I would like to have. I dont mind that its alil bigger than the Macbook, mainly cause there isn't that much difference in the weight; i think like a pound or so.
My main reason for even considering the macbook pro is because of the dedicated graphics card for more performance, if needed. Now, while i am just a student at the moment, i do like to do webdesign, and photography.

So, i guess my question is, do you guys think that the 2.4ghz Macbook will shell out all the performance that i will need in order to run programs like: Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flash Pro., Contribute, AND Photoshop??? Or am i gonna need to cough up $400 more, and go w/ the MB Pro???

Keep in mind, i wont be doing heavy webdesign, just alil here and there. I have a pretty powerful desktop, but dont include that in your decision.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Hey guys, i'm looking at getting a new laptop and not sure which one i should go with:

1) Macbook w/ 2.4ghz (9400m gfx) - This is the one that im really leaning too. I like the smaller 13.3" screen, and just the overall smaller form factor. I dont need firewire, so that doesn't really bother me.

2) Macbook Pro w/ 2.4ghz (9400m + 256 9600m gfx) - This is the one that I would like to have. I dont mind that its alil bigger than the Macbook, mainly cause there isn't that much difference in the weight; i think like a pound or so.
My main reason for even considering the macbook pro is because of the dedicated graphics card for more performance, if needed. Now, while i am just a student at the moment, i do like to do webdesign, and photography.

So, i guess my question is, do you guys think that the 2.4ghz Macbook will shell out all the performance that i will need in order to run programs like: Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flash Pro., Contribute, AND Photoshop??? Or am i gonna need to cough up $400 more, and go w/ the MB Pro???

Keep in mind, i wont be doing heavy webdesign, just alil here and there. I have a pretty powerful desktop, but dont include that in your decision.

Webdesign is mostly flash based and 72dpi you hardly need a dedicated video card. Photography I don't think it really matters as much compared to accurate colors and that has to do with the screen.

I would go with the MBP because we all know as designers screen real estate is always nice. I find that I get more work done when I hook up to my 22" monitor, rather than working off the 13" screen.

I think people seriously don't give the MB the credit it deserves. If you add 4GB of RAM it's very comparable to the power of a MBP just smaller. I run atleast 4 Adobe programs at once and I have firefox open with 20 tabs or more and I don't get even the slightest hint of a hiccup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
Hey there! I have a macbook (the same model that you are looking at) that I use for photography, gaming, and overall student work. Coming from a student standpoint, I'd go with the 13" macbook, mainly to save your back. I'm a big guy, but I notice a difference compared to the old macbook pro I used to have. The 13" is big enough for most of my photos, but when I need more real estate, I hook it up to my external monitor. You'll save money and gain some portability if you go with the macbook, but you'll be happy either way!

Take care!
Trent out

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the quick replys. That really answers my question then, the macbook seems like the best choice for me.

Another decision i have to make. If i decide to get the macbook from Best buy, should i pay the $400 for the extended warranty??? i mean, since it covers accidental damage, i could "accidently" crack my screen after 2 years, and get a new laptop???

What are your opinions??

THNX again!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
thanks for the quick replys. That really answers my question then, the macbook seems like the best choice for me.

Another decision i have to make. If i decide to get the macbook from Best buy, should i pay the $400 for the extended warranty??? i mean, since it covers accidental damage, i could "accidently" crack my screen after 2 years, and get a new laptop???

What are your opinions??

THNX again!!

If you're going to best buy, ask them to match the student discount ($100 off). That'll save you even more. Personally, I don't find the warranty to be worth it...$400 is a lot. If you did "accidentally" break your screen here in 2 years, there's no telling if they'd honor it, and if they did, you'd probably end up with a refurb. It's up to you though!

Trent out

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did question what would happen if something did happen a couple of years down the road and Best buy didn't carry that model any more, and the apple rep. at best buy told me that they would give me a credit in the amount of the original purchase to use however i like. He said that if the problem was minor, such as a bad HDD, they would replace that part. But if the problem was major, such as a broken screen, then they would just get me a new laptop or issue a store credit as i stated above.

EDIT: BTW, does apple.com charge tax on purchases online??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.