Please Help!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G4 Sonnet 1.0 512 Ram 10.3.6
This is my scenario and I need some advice on what decision I should make. First of all I just started doing a little bit of video editing. We all know how this can eat up your hardrive space. Well I was thinking either going with 160 internal for more room and is more afordable then external. I've heard that external is faster and easier to maintain when backing up data. If anyone has any insight to this please share some with me.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
external is faster if its firewire, it usually is, and internal can be faster if you buy a new ide controller card thats super ide or something.

OP
New2Macs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macman said:
external is faster if its firewire, it usually is, and internal can be faster if you buy a new ide controller card thats super ide or something.[/QUOTE
But wouold it be more convient to have an internal drive far as importing and exporting files or backing up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
I would think an external would be better, this way you could take them to another computer to transfer them if you need to. Much easier, IMO, than having to save them to a CD/DVD and then loading the CD/DVD onto another machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes, an external would be much more convinient and easier to use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
I have a g4 733 that won't recognize more than 120gb on internals. You may want to check to see if your system has the same limitation.

I have a 160gb and a 200gb that I put into firewire enclosures so that I wouldn't lose the additional gb.

That in itself may cause you to want to go firewire.

OP
New2Macs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
immdb said:
I have a g4 733 that won't recognize more than 120gb on internals. You may want to check to see if your system has the same limitation.

I have a 160gb and a 200gb that I put into firewire enclosures so that I wouldn't lose the additional gb.

That in itself may cause you to want to go firewire.
Is that simple to just buy a hardrive and insert it in a case to make it external. Enlight me more on this gadget!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New2Macs said:
where can i grab an external case from?
compusa, circuit city, best buy, it doesnt have to be 'mac' compatible, the hd either as long as itll connect through firewire or whatever you want.

OP
New2Macs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macman said:
compusa, circuit city, best buy, it doesnt have to be 'mac' compatible, the hd either as long as itll connect through firewire or whatever you want.[/QUOT
All have to do is buy a case insert a hardrive in and wa la external hardrive...Cool

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New2Macs said:
Macman said:
compusa, circuit city, best buy, it doesnt have to be 'mac' compatible, the hd either as long as itll connect through firewire or whatever you want.[/QUOT
All have to do is buy a case insert a hardrive in and wa la external hardrive...Cool
dont forget to connect the IDE connection cable and power cable, its fool proof, I suggest getting a case with an on/off switch.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.