• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How do I play MPEG on a Mac (for free) ?????

Reaction score
How do I do an MPEG on my new Mac?!

Please someone help me, it's driving me nuts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
A second vote for Perian.

Or you can use VLC if you're happy using a different media player app

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch
Can you provide a few more details? What are trying to create an MPEG from?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
NOTE: Merged duplicate threads.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Perian has some problems with the latest version of Quicktime. I've uninstalled it entirely.

I'd recommend VLC Media Player.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What kind of problems? Haven't had any since i made the switch O:)

When I played the Apple notebook announcement from last month, every time I went to resize the window, Quicktime would crash. Initially, I thought it was Quicktime, but as soon as I disabled Perian, all was well.

OP
S
Reaction score
hi; im very curious; what do you guys actually do on your macs? ive recently had internet freeze whereby i just cant think of one thing to do on the computer. do you guys do gaming or something? can someone show me the light please? like giv me ideas of what exactly you can do on a macbook??? is there a world beyond youtube?

thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hi; im very curious; what do you guys actually do on your macs? ive recently had internet freeze whereby i just cant think of one thing to do on the computer. do you guys do gaming or something? can someone show me the light please? like giv me ideas of what exactly you can do on a macbook??? is there a world beyond youtube?

thanks

Odd question. Let's just say I do everything on my Mac that I would do on any other computer. It seems you feel inhibited in some way - what do you find lacking?

OP
S
Reaction score
no its not an odd question. im being truthful. im not talking about macs, im talking about computers in general and the internet. when i look at these forums, i can see masses and masses of topics; it makes me think that everyone else is getting the most out of their computer.

seriously; im not joking; what do you do on your mac? i hope thats not a personal question...

i guess a graphics designer could use his or hers mac to work on for their job; ditto somebody else that requires say a spreadsheet etc... but for someone who has no real use for a computer, im dying to know what it can be used for. you say 'you do everything' ... can you give me a small list of things as an example to give me an idea, so perhaps i can be inspired...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Shopping, communicate with friends and family, store and edit photos, store and edit music, store and edit movies, surf the web, research work related topics, keep my calendar (ie: myself) organized etc... your motivation and resourcefulness are the only limits. I can honestly say, for example, I would never have been able to install a camshaft in my 2008 Daytona without knowledge gleaned from the internet.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Shopping, communicate with friends and family, store and edit photos, store and edit music, store and edit movies, surf the web, research work related topics, keep my calendar (ie: myself) organized etc... your motivation and resourcefulness are the only limits. I can honestly say, for example, I would never have been able to install a camshaft in my 2008 Daytona without knowledge gleaned from the internet.

Pretty much the same here. I also play games (both Mac and Windows). I work as a network admin in a Microsoft environment, and although I run VMWare with Windows for a lot of work stuff, I also use the Mac as an alternative OS for times when I can't get a failing hard drive to mount on a Windows machine (for example). I also test drive the new Linux distros that interest me on occasion.

I'm an old-school Amiga fan too, so I occasionally run emulators to play some of my old games. My Amigas are long gone now, but I've been able to image a lot of those floppies that some of those classic games came on (which is a good thing since most of them were destroyed in a basement flood just a few years ago).

OP
S
Reaction score
Oh right; that sounds pretty much straight forward. I do some of those things too.
I'll never forget my first experience with the internet (how could I?). I mean specifically the internet because I've used computers for ages. Do you remember the 'Amstrad 6128'? I was fascinated by that; but still, I only really played games on it. Nintendo, Sega, etc but NO Amiga. My friend had an Amiga and I was jealous; because at the time the Amiga was a cross between the best console gaming machine but also a nicely presented desktop pc... So I gathered. I remember one game he showed me which was some type of hostage game with guns etc? Like storming an embasy?
But i shall never forget when my brother first brough a rubbish PC back to our house in 1998. It was a pile of junk from 'Time'. With AMD inside. He told me to 'come here' because he 'had something to show me'. I went to the room and he was tapping away at the keyboard and giggling and sniggering at the screen. He was on 'Supanet''s chat, just a chatroom. I remember feeling disgusted at his behaviour and how i started dissing him and calling him names, saying how pathetic it was to sit there tapping away at the blue screen. Then i had a go myself, and I became instantly addicted. I felt like such a fool. I'm 29 now and supposed to know better; and yet when I turn on the net, I just can't think of one thing to do. There must be help forums specifically geared towards people in my situation....

P.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
It's called the 12 steps and they have support for that too.

OP
S
Reaction score
hahahaha are you serious? the 12 steps? what is that... now i am going to google it

OP
S
Reaction score
Zip and Rar files

Is a .zip file the same as a .rar file?

can you drop a zip file into the unrar box and it will open it for you? or are they 2 totally separate thing?

whats the best way to open a .zip file hassle free? (on a mac of course!)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is a .zip file the same as a .rar file?

can you drop a zip file into the unrar box and it will open it for you? or are they 2 totally separate thing?

whats the best way to open a .zip file hassle free? (on a mac of course!)

ZIP and RAR are two different types of archive files. StuffIt Expander can handle both, as can BetterZip. You can download free trials of either product, just Google the names.

OP
S
Reaction score
wicked, thanks man.

something real strange happenned to my mac today and i dont know what the heck it is....
in 'FINDER' , on the left, you got a list havn't you? 'DEVICES', then going down, 'PLACES' (applications, documents etc) , then 'SEARCH FOR' .......well, today, in that list cropped up another category, without my knowledge whatsoever.... second in the list, after 'DEVICES' , it says 'SHARED' and in that category it has a little icon of a computer monitor/screen, with the name 'THOMSON' next to it. it says its a pc server, but theres nothing in it, just a blank page, empty.

what in gods name is it? am i being hacked?????

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.