MBP dented next DVI port.. Does it void fault graphics card warranty

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.5 GHz 2 GB RAM 250 GB HDD NViDA GeForce 8600 GMT
Hi all,

I bought my macbook pro in February 2008 when Penryn Processor model was released. I have had many problems with my display which obviously proves that I have one of those faulty Nvidia 8600M GT Graphics card in it. But I have been quite busy & haven't been able to get it fixed & just today morning I dropped my laptop carry bag on the ground from approximately 60 CM height from the ground. But because of the padding in the bag I just have a little dent right next to my DVI port.

Now, Apple has covered the macbook pros with 8600M GT graphics card for 2 years for Graphics Card related problems. I am also only interested in getting my faulty graphics card replaced for now... But what I am worried about is, will this little dent on the side of my macbook pro void my warranty, even for the faulty graphics card??

Here is the photo... Image004.jpg
Code:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4 MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz; 200 GB Toshiba 7k200; 2 GB stock RAM; Leopard 10.5.3
Similar Dent

I have a similar dent on my macbook pro. I had it in a shoulder strapped bag made of neoprene. I went to pick a textbook up off the floor and the bag slipped off my shoulder and on to the ground. When I took my MBP out of the bag at my next class I noticed that the metal around the DVI port was warped/bent. It still works though, luckily. Did your DVI port still work after it got dented? I understand you have problems with your Nvidia chip but if the DVI port still works then the dent should be considered a cosmetic blemish and in no way should it affect your ability to get the Nvidia chip replaced. They will have to replace the entire motherboard/logic board because the Nvidia chip is soldiered onto the motherboard/logic board.

I didn't like the idea of apple getting rid of the DVI port in the new generation of MBs and MBPs but after this incident I understand why the did it. The mini display port is much smaller and therefore the casing can be stronger. Less holes and smaller holes for the ports = stronger case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4 MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz; 200 GB Toshiba 7k200; 2 GB stock RAM; Leopard 10.5.3
When they open the case, depending on the technician. S/he may be so kind and push the dent back out for you.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
If the machine is fully functional, aside from the known-faulty GPU issue, this shouldn't be a problem. If they made an issue out of it, I would definitely push back and ask them for a technical explanation as to why a cosmetic problem voids the warranty extended for a manufacturer's DEFECT.

But I would guess that unless you have a real winner of a tech, they won't make a big deal out of it. I suspect these guys are seeing MBPs with fried GPUs all day long and are used to quickly swapping logic boards without asking too many questions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.