eMac - Factory Settings

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just recently been given an eMac second hand.

I have attempted to restore it back to factory settings. I have used the 'software restore' disc 1, but unfortunately I do not have disk 2 in the same version.

I have now got a newer operating system and would like to install that 'over the top' - is this possible?? The disk just keeps getting spat out...

Any help would be appreciated! I dont know what to do....

aimee :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
You need the 2nd disk to complete the installation process.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
First up the 'newer' disc - is it a full retail install black coloured disc or a silver grey model specific? If so these discs will work ONLY with the model they came with.

If the 'newer' OS disc is a retail version, what OS is it and what are the specs of your machine? OS X.5 Leopard will install on machines with a higher than 867MHz processor, so that would not install on the 700/800MHz eMacs.

Doing an erase and install of any OS will set the machine up with the default settings as determined by Apple at the time of the software release.

OP
A
Reaction score
The first disk was a grey one - the second disk is a black one.

I cannot locate another grey disk...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
The first disk was a grey one - the second disk is a black one.

Then you're in luck. The black disk is what's known as a Full Install disk or the Full Retail Version. That's the one to use to install a full operating version of OS X. You can also boot from it to do a Clean Install, or Archive & Install. However, we need to know what version of OS X is on the black disk. It may be Panther, even Jaguar, but with even more luck, it may be Tiger.

OP
A
Reaction score
I have 3 Panther discs (black).

How do I do a clean install ?? And does it matter that I am halfway through doing that with a grey disc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Q1. Boot from black Disk 1 (hold down the C key - release when you get to Preparing Installation) then choose the Language, then you get the Welcome to the ..... Installer, and Click Continue. From there on it's intuitive.

Q2. No, it shouldn't make any difference, since a clean install overwrites absolutely everything.

OP
A
Reaction score
I have tried that. But it just spits out Panther and asks for the grey disk 2 again....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well are the disks for that model computer, and are the black discs full retail install CD's or a model specific system restore discs can you tell us please?

OP
A
Reaction score
The grey disks are emac specific disks, and the black disks are the full retail CDS.

So, just to recap, I have installed the first disk of the grey emac specific disks, and found that I do not have the second disk. I want to restore the emac to factory settings, but I dont have the second disk...

OP
A
Reaction score
I guess that is what I will have to do... I did not realise that it was that easy to stuff up!! :[

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.