• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

A simple question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"
Hi, I'm making a tribute DVD for a friend of a late friend who's ashes were scattered on a beach. He gave a 6 minute speech for the film and I don't have enough photos from his family to cover six minutes so I am thinking of having the dialogue as the DVD menu page audio.

Will most DVD players allow the duration of the audio to play or are they likely to automatically play after a couple of minutes if 'ignored' so to speak.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Well it looks like the most current iDVD can loop the menu for over 6 minutes. I just dragged a 6min 19sec song into the background. Cool.

I'd create a disc image and play it in DVD Player to see if you get the result you expect. This may be player dependent, but I'd guess that the player will play the whole loop and start over as expected. What you might be concerned about is a player will go into a sleep mode say at the 5 minute mark when it sees that no action has been taken. DVD Player may not show that result while a real one might. Test with a movie by just leaving the menu up and not touching any controls or the computer.

Please let us know the result. I for one am curious.

OP
Shoeboat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"
Will do... I am pretty confident i-DVD will allow a 6 min loop but will check anyway. The player is the issue here and I guess there's no way of finding out for sure as each one is different.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Perhaps the player has a menu option that allows turning off any automatic sleep mode.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.