A whole new light

Reaction score
Hello all!

I just brought home my new MacBook, one of the new aluminum ones. Talk about impressive. I have two Vista machines in my home, and I never thought a Mac would be so easy to use. I have barely used the manual or help and I find it very easy to do what I want it to do. Everything is SO intuitive, I almost have to DE-TRAIN myself from the old way of thinking.

Maybe that doesn't make any sense, but it just seems that everything is not overly thought consuming and things just happen naturally. I guess you all will know what I mean even if I can't express it very well.

The MacBook is sweet. Solid as a rock but not as heavy as one. It came fully charged and I jumped right in.

I'm sure I'll have a question or two, but for now, its all so darned SIMPLE!

Nice place you have here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
That's what everyone says when they get a Mac. I love mine still and I got it almost half a year ago. It's amazing, congratulations!

OP
Z
Reaction score
Makes me wonder why people suffer Windows. But I can't complain, I never really had much trouble with Vista like some people have.

Reaction score
Congrats...have my new one less than 2 wks & no issues other than learning Mac ways...the help here has been great. Very easy transition for me but I'm a little techy so I either figure it out or ask.

Reaction score
I'm a long time PC user and am happy to read this. I'm in the market for a new PC but I have ZERO desire to use Vista. So..... I'm exploring the world of Macs. I'm doing starting to do some research on what hurdles I might run into if I decide to join the Mac world.

- I have a wired/wireless network in my home where I share an external drive with a PC laptop and a PC desktop. The MAC would replace the desktop but I would still want the external drive to be able to be accessed by both.

- Can you map a PC drive to a MAC and vice versa

- Program compatibility. I don't really feel like purchasing a bunch of new software. My primary programs are MS Office, Quicken, Photoshop (mainly for picture manipulation and editing)

- The iMac 2.8GHz with 24" display is what I have my eye on.

Any answers or tips are greatly appreciated, I'll continue to research.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.6 Ghz, Ipod 1G, 3G, Nano 3G, Touch 1G, Apple TV 160GB
Hi Marky - I am a new switcher, but I think you can read a PC formatted drive on the Mac, but must format to Mac if you want to write to it. Case in point - when I purchased my new Western Digital external 500B HDD, Time Machine (Apple Backup) informed me that I needed to reformat it. Hope this helps! :)

p.s. I also picked up the "Missing Manual for Mac (Leopard Edition)" book too. I saw that it is 40% off at Barnes & Noble this week. This will answer tons of questions that you might have!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
when you say map are you meaning as in SMB map? If so, then SMB is handling the read/writes and the format doesn't matter at all.

Your windows programs will not run on OS X natively. You'd either need Mac versions or you'd need to run a virtual machine, bootcamp (windows boot) or something like crossover or WINE.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 1.33ghz 768ram, iMac G4 1.0ghz 1gb 80gb 10.4.11, iMac G3 450mhz 256 20gb 10.4.11 9.2.2
Your windows programs will not run on OS X natively. You'd either need Mac versions or you'd need to run a virtual machine, bootcamp (windows boot) or something like crossover or WINE.
Just thought I'd point this out. Some photoshop disks can be installed on both mac and pc. My copy of photoshop does. You'd have to read the box to be sure if yours is compatible for both though.
As far as the other software, I don't really know.
:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
yes, because it contains both programs. Not because the .exe will run on the Mac :)

Reaction score
I just got a new macbook about a week or so ago. Nice nice computer. The operating system seems a bit more rationally laid out. No problems no hassles. At the same time, I still have my old HP Pavilion laptop, running Vista. It still works nicely. (I switched because I like trying out new technology and because my wife's laptop has gotten flaky -- she gets my Pavilion). The macbook is an impressive machine. At the same time, I had no problems with Windows and Vista. About the only thing the mac doesn't do as well is stream to my HR20 Directv DVR. But I suspect with a little fiddling and research on my part I'll get that running well too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.