Newbie MAC User - Itunes Problems

Reaction score
Hi All,
Right so I have recently made the switch to MAC after many years on PC and I have had quite a few late nights trying to get to grips with the numerous differences and nuances. Yet im still wrappped with my purchase !

My main problem at the moment is importing my vast music collection (both .mp3 and .m4a) into my itunes library on my IMAC. I have tried dragging the folders directly into Itunes (where the green arrow appears), i have tried changing the default music directory to the Music folder on my USB HDD - both time nothing happens !!! I have tried going to the menu and importing the files yet nothing happens. Any ideas on what is going on ? Is this due to my MAC ignorance.

Note i have also dragged files onto the MAC HDD then tried to add to library - to see if this may have been an issue with accessing music on the USD HDD -once again no joy.

Thanks in advance

This hasnt been a problem when using itunes on my work PC

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.