How to change email addresses in Mac OS X Mail

Reaction score
I'm changing my email address on my Mac which runs Mac OS X 10.4.11

It seems like a couple of years ago, I deleted a mail account and this also deleted all of the mail for that account.

Now, I have several email accounts on one Mac and I want to separate business from personal so I want to delete some of the email accounts on my Mac so that these emails go to the other computer.

So, how do I stop downloading email on this Mac for some email accounts?

-- Kaydell

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
With Mail open, go to the menu bar, Mail/Preferences/Accounts/Advanced

You can just disable the account, and you'll also be able to add/delete accounts from the bottom left. (+,-)

attachment.php

Picture 5.png

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks! I was able to disable the accounts that I don't want to use on this Mac by using the advanced feature to disable the accounts.

I don't dare use the minus button in

+ -

because when I did that last time, I believe that all of the email that had been received by that account was lost.

So, I'm happy with your first suggestion. I disabled the email accounts that don't want to download from, but my mail received on this Mac is still there and I can easily find things with Mail's find feature.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.