wont boot from cd, wont find external drives

Reaction score
ok so i have a new hard drive that i need to install tiger on. when i boot from cd drive, which is holding down the "c" key while booting, nothing happens. when i hold option down while booting, it doesn't find any drives, including the cd, that it can boot from. any suggestions?

OP
D
Reaction score
well i tried it, (holding cmd + opt + p + r right?) it still doesn't boot from cd while holding c or recognize the cd or any other external firewire drives when i hold option. thanks though

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Some of the early iBooks only had a CD installed and not a DVD reader. PowerPC will only boot from external drives if they are firewire and Apple Partition Map formatted.

OP
D
Reaction score
well it is a combo drive, it should be cd reader. and i have a firewire drive, and i think it is apple partition map formatted, i went into disk utility and restored leopard to the firewire then booted from the firewire and installed leopard onto one of the partitions. i can boot from it on my macbook pro, but it isn't recognized by the ibook.

it seems like to me something else is wrong, maybe with the logic board?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.