HELP- screen broken/ spilled nail polish remover

Reaction score
Ok I am an idiot. 5 days ago I spilled nail polish remover on one end of my macbook pro's keyboard. I turned the computer upside down and wiped it off. The only damage seemed to be that the light went out on that part of the keyboard. HOWEVER, last night I opened my computer and 1/4 of the screen was black. In teh bottom corner it is kind of colorful and cracked looking and on one side there are vertical colored lines. Does this have to do with the nail polish remover spill? THink I can convice Apple that this just happened without my doing any damage to the computer? It is only a few months old. Please help!!

OP
C
Reaction score
Effect of Nail Polish Remover spill on macbook pro???

What would be the likely effects of spilling a small amount of nail polish remover on a macbook pro's keyboard? I did this a few days ago. The only damage seemed to be that the light in that section of the keyboard went out. Today a fourth of my screen was black. On the bottom left corner there is some color and it looks as though it is cracked. there are also a few colorful vertical lines. Does the nail polish remover have anything to do with this??????? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i would almost guarantee that they will know what caused the damage.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Nail polish remover is very toxic to plastic and electronic parts that comprise your MBP. It's possible that the damage is not only to the keyboard area but may have extended to other circuitry. Brace yourself for an expensive repair bill from Apple. They will definitely not repair it under the warranty but will charge you for the repairs. I suggest taking it on in for an estimate of how much it will cost before deciding to have them repair it.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
I hate to say it, but most likely :p

I guess you should just go to the Apple Store and have them check it out.... perhaps a new keyboard.... maybe a new screen. At least that is cheaper than getting an entire new Macbook!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I agree, it's a solvent after all. I'd bet that it did some damage to the logicboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G
I recently lost a MBP to liquid damage, and unfortunately it ain't a cheap repair. I gave the MBP a good few days to dry out, and it did work again for a few days, but then the screen started displaying garble like yours. Basically it means Apple will replace your motherboard, which is most of the computers guts, which equals expensive for both the part, and the repair bill.

I opted to buy a new machine as the cost of repair wasn't far off a new and better specced MBP, best of luck and hope you had insurance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.