1st time Mac user - getting the basics sorted.

J

Jordan

Hi all,

Just purchased an iBook and am very excited to not ever see this internet cafe again. I don't even have the iBook yet but would like to get started in adjusting to the world of Mac.

1) Can someone suggest a good (readable) user's guide for the iBook and OS X for me? I have no clue about either.

2) My family is back in Canada and use Wintel machines. I would like to use my iBook to talk and video conference with them. Can they install iChat on the Wintel Box? I know that AIM is supposed to work with iChat, is this my best bet instead? Would using MSN be best?

3) What sort of general maintenance should I be doing. Something about repairing permissions right? How often? Every month or so? I also heard some stuff about 'cocktail' to keep the computer running well. Where do I find this?

4) Do I need an anti-virus programme? If so, which one is good?

Thank much in advance. I will be back with more soon I'm sure.

Jordan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
1. If you're the really interested in learning about it early(because you really don't need one to learn to use a mac...you'll get it in 20 mins) - The missing Guide
2. iChat will work just fine with video and audio to them...Make sure they have AIM 5.2 or higher I believe
3. There is some maintenance..but I suggest just dropping 9 dollars and buying Macaroni, availlable on version tracker..You install it...and never worry about maintenance again..everything is automatic...its truly wonderfl
4. Nope..

Enjoy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
ApplejustWorks covered everything just fine but I'll add one more thing to #1. On your iBook there will be a pdf located in the Documents folder entitled "Getting Started with your iBook", this will cover all the features and how to use them of your iBook (what every plug does, how to do simple stuff like burn a CD, create a new user etc). I found the same thing on my PowerBook (but for the PowerBook obviously) when I first turned it on and started snooping around. This should give you alot of the basic information on how to use your machine and how to navigate through the OS on a basic level. Then you should jump to the "The Missing Guide/Manual" book for OSX.

Enjoy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.