Can a Windows PC 'see' files on a Mac HD?

Reaction score
Hello,

Does anyone know if files on a Mac hard drive can be accessed on a Windows PC by connecting the Mac HD to the PC as a slave?

Or can those files only be seen by running a Mac OS ?

Thanks,
Bill

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
I never tried it as a slave drive, but I transfer files wirelessly all the time from both.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
256MB video RAM
No

At least without installing additional software. (I've tried it before and just doesn't recognise it, asking if I want to format it.)

Sharing Disks - Windows Products might have something useful on it. That HFS explorer might be good. Given that I haven't tried it out at all.

Reaction score
I have recently needed to do the same and bought a copy of MacDrive

Mediafour | MacDrive

This lets you see all Mac formatted drives (internal or external) seamlessly from within Windows

They also offer a short trial - worth looking at

Justin

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If you are going to actually put the Mac's hard drive into the PC, then you need Mac Drive like was suggested above. Great program.

XP and Vista can not real OSX nor Linux's format for that matter. Over a network, sure, the computer is reading the drive and doing the translating. I have a large network of PC'a and Macs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.