• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

need help upgrading macbook pro for editing (Ram,bigger HD,ext HD)

Reaction score
First of all, Thank God for forums.
ok, So I am running rediculously low on hard drive space and I pretty much want to start over with my computer. I am serious about editing and I want to get a new Hard drive (maybe 320gb or 500gb) and only install what I want on it and keep it from getting filled with random stuff.

I have a Macbook Pro 2.2GHz (15-inch Intel Core 2 Duo) - Mid 2007 (thats when it was made)--it has 2 GB's of RAM.

Anyways, For editing purposes, what type of hard drive (it would be helpful to have an exact brand and name) should I get? I want to just take out my hard drive I have now and start over with a new one...A clean install of the OS and of Final Cut Studio and After effects.
also, I was trying to figure it out on my own and got confused about 7200 rpm vs. 5400 rpm and something about 8mb or 16mb cache's (I have NO IDEA what that really means and if I need 7200 or 5400 and if I need an 8 mb cache or a 16 mb cache?) Im lost. please help me!
How much should I pay for it and where should I get it for the cheapest?

Also, I am going to get more RAM for my computer.
Quite frankly, I have no idea what to buy but I know I need to go from the
2 GBs that come standard on my computer to 4gb of RAM.
What specifically do I need? Is there a link you can give me of where to buy it?

Lastly, I need an external hard drive for editing and an editor friend of mine said that I should without a doubt get a g-tech g-drive. Is that a good choice? Is it worth the money?

Im willing to spend what I need to upgrade my computer to a good editing machine because I am planning on going to school for editing. I really need to make sure I buy the right things though

thank you very much..

OP
H
Reaction score
I meant to say that I want to know exactly what the name and model of the internal hard drive I should buy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.