Are the upgrades from apple worth it for the new Macbook Pros?

Reaction score
So first I want to say that I did many searches and i couldn't find anything or I couldn't tell if they were talking about the old or new macbook pros.

I remember for the older models macbook and macbook pros the upgrades for ram were something ridiculous like $600 when you could get them on newegg for about a sixth of that price. Now the new macbook pro RAM upgrades are only $150. Why is that? Does that price therefore make it worth it to just buy it straight from apple?

Same question with the HD upgrades. ANd if not, could someone help me with where I should start in getting RAM and HD upgrades. I'm looking for at least 4GB RAM and 320GB HD.

Thanks

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
The RAM from apple this time around is pretty comparable to what other third party RAM. You can check the price here from a small comparison.

Although I'm unsure of what brand of RAM they are using and therefore I don't know what the timings are and the volts are most likely 1.5V

The HDD you can buy and install yourself. Again I don't know what brand they are using and you can buy a 320GB 7200RPM for less than 100 US dollars with free shipping at newegg.

Apparently apple only charges an extra 50 dollars for a 320GB 7200RPM. If they use Seagate or WD I would totally go for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT
I didn't see much difference in upgrading via apple or buying yourself from a 3rd party so I upgraded via Apples Online store when I purchased mine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 uni
yea for the New macbook get it from Apple little price difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Snag the Apple RAM if you can wait for the extra build time. My aftermarket OWC RAM worked fine, but I was sweating it out for a while as many other folks were not so lucky. The 7200rpm 250GB HDD they offer is fairly competitively priced as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Apple does not make RAM. It's simply bought by them, just like everyone else. The majority I've seen in recent years has been made by Samsung. So technically, as long as you're not buying greymarket or questionable quality there is no difference (assuming you buy the same spec). The price difference now seems to be within $50. That's still too much for me to pay someone else to perform a 3 minute task.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.