sad sad day for me, but with a bright side

Reaction score
ok guys, basically yesterday my laptop fell from my bed (of course i had something to do with it, it didnt fall down on its own) while being ON. what happens? my macbook freezes and when i try and turn it on again? i get the question mark folder. i've researched this online and it seems i've lost my hard drive, i didnt have any backup and the most important thing i lost was a song i didnt backup and one of the most important songs that was going to be the single sent to record labels :/

i finished the song two days ago and didn't even think this would happen. how do i know my hard drive is busted? well it won't read at all, u can hear it struggling and what not. i opened it and there's no way around it. it was 160gb hard drive, but this is where the bright side comes in. i was looking at hard drives, and found a 320gb hard drive for 77 dollars on ebay!!!!?? wow? is this the best i can get? what do you guys think? can i get it for cheaper or is there a bigger one? i've been away from the macbook scene for a while, and just wanted to check with u vets.

oh, and is there a way i could recover what's on my screwed hard drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Also, if you want to really pinpoint the problem I would take your MB into the Apple store. It's still under warranty right? If so, have them look at it and they can diagnose it and probably give you a significant start to your solution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lombard 400, 190cs, Wallstreet 233
It may be as simple as a loose connector cable. The macbook should have parked the read/write head once it noticed it was falling.

Try this, and check the cable connecting to the HD:
Installing MacBook Core Duo Hard Drive

OP
H
Reaction score
thanks a lot for your help guys.

however, whether it works or not i've set my eyes on that 320gb baby and can't take my mind off it =) lol. so what's the cheapest i can get it? and where? i just want to know what a good price is to have it as a judging point when shopping around for it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" ibook g4, 1.42ghz. 512mb ram, 60gb hdd
Just bring it into a computer repair shop and have them recover the data.

OP
H
Reaction score
ok, everyone thanks for ur help. i just spent 150 dollars on my macbook including a brand new case, trackpad sticker protector and hd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
pop the apple cd in and boot into it by holding "alt" down. there are utilities in there to test stuff.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.