How does time capsule work with 2 macbooks and an XP desktop?

Reaction score
Well, I know that two macbooks can easily back up to the time capsule...but how? is there a separate folder for each computer on the TC's 500gb drive?

now, how would that work with a windows xp desktop, where apple says the TC simply mounts as an external wireless hard drive? does it simply create another folder for THAT computer? can someone please elaborate on the TC's abilities with a windows xp desktop?

thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
A 'sparsebundle' is created for each computer. A sparsebundle is similar to the library used by iPhoto and Aperture. It contains a lot of files, but shows up in Finder as a single file. So, basically a separate backup file is created for each computer. They show up together in the root directory of the TC hard drive.

The TC is a wireless-N router and an external hard drive combined in the same little white box. The built in hard drive shows up in Finder like any other external drive. You can read and write to it as you please.

In Windows, the TC hard drive shows up in Windows Explorer/My Computer just like any other external drive. You can read and write to it in Windows as well. You can see the Time Machine sparsebundle files listed in My Computer, but you can't open or view them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.