Cleaning a mac for dummies (caches, duplicates etc.)

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just switched 2 months ago and i'm loving my mac but I have no idea how to clean it. I just downloaded a demo of chipmunk 1.2 but when I try to delete the duplicates it says I need permission...i duon't know if it's a bug or something.

Is there a program that's user friendly and clears caches and duplicates and what not? Is there a built in program in OS X. I must admit, when I had a PC it was much easier to clean with built in progs like the defragmentter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I recommend a damp (not wet) cloth, a compressed air duster, or a vacuum cleaner with a soft-bristle brush attachment.

Seriously, there's not much cleaning that a Mac needs (except for dust removal) unless you're having problems. I know that Windows users are used to doing things to "keep the wheels greased" on their computers, but your Mac is not a PC. Your Mac defrags its own disks. Your Mac has no registry. Your Mac runs its own maintenance scripts on a regular basis.

You can find and use maintenance programs if it makes you feel better, and there are people (all of them ex-Windows users) who will swear that they make their Macs run faster, their lawns greener, their cars get better gas mileage, and their dogs' fur shinier. But if it makes you feel better, go wild.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.