Sawtooth G4 Video Card Problems

Reaction score
I am currently overhaul my Sawtooth G4, Witch Just got on Saturday very cheaply for a university surplus auctions.

I have a PC version of Nvidia 4 Geforce4 Ti 4600 (which is a pretty decent card but i ani't going to pay no $195 for one) which i successfully flashed to Arti's Modified mac rom.

but is isn't wonting to boot in my mac, i know you have to tape pins 3 and 11 in most mac but i think the Sawtooth is the exception to that??

also is there anyway too tell if my mac is a dual processor version when there is no o/s on (like but serial number or something?).

Aslo i need to trade my sticks of DDR ram for 4 sticks of 512mb SDRam does anyone know where i can do that for pretty much an even trade?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Open the machine up and look at the size of the heat sink. A DP heatsink on the Gigabit Ethernet/Digital Audio, the two early G4's available with DP are huge and twice the size of a single.

Make sure you get Mac compatible memory and video cards. Macs use low density memory modules and nearly all PC is high density. Flashing a PC card is a pretty involved, and risky process with the risk of frying the card so good luck.

You really have to ask is exspending the money worth it for an +8 year old machine? You can install an upgrade CPU, faster hard drive and a newer video card but expect to pay about US$300.00.

OP
G
Reaction score
thanks, The only thing i plain on buying is the processor, the ram i am going to trade or maybe pay a little extra. and Harddrives i already have from my pc, (and dvd burner too). i am going to sell my p4 machine and pay probably try to get a used processor upgrade card for like $100.

Also thanks for telling me about Low Density ram cause i was just about 2 buy some 4 stick of High density for about $20
'
I plan on having a machine with these spec when iam done:
G4 processor: 1.8 - 2.0Ghz
Ram: 2GB
Harddrive: 3 80GB Seagate Barracuda Harddrives
O/S: x 10.5.5

I want to run Final Cut Studio 2 on this system as it does run well on my intel macbook. (cause of integrated graphics)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Standard internal drives for this model, from memory are two so use one as an external and back up the system using firewire and SuperDuper. Check out OWC at Find the latest Performance Upgrades, Firewire and USB Hard Drives, SATA, Memory, Laptop Battery, and more at OWC for the memory specification from this link:-

Memory Upgrades for your Apple PowerMac G4 Gigabit Ethernet 2x500MHz (2000) at OtherWorldComputing.com

Bear in mind the link is for PC100 ram for a Sawtooth/Gigabit Ethernet. Digital Audio systems use PC133. PC133 will work in a PC100 machine but not the other way around.

You will be spending more money on a Leopard compatible video card with Quartz Extreme and Core Image capablilities. Your machine, if a Sawtooth or Gigabit Ethernet, is 2X AGP and Digital AUdio are 4X.

OP
G
Reaction score
I got my video card working i re-flashed it with oem mac rom 1105 and it works. (can't test it more that display though cause i have no os on it right now)

I may download Yellow Dog but can it tell you the Uni-North number?

OP
G
Reaction score
I found this on dual verse signal processor, they say version 2 logic boards are dual capable and version 1 aren't.

"Version 1 and Version 2 logic boards are similar and must be replaced like for like. To differentiate boards, check the EEE code (the last three digits on the serial number bar code). The EEE code is HHQ, HHP, HJZ, HKD, or HL9 for Version 1 logic boards and HQT, J6M, or JVE for Version 2 logic boards.

Note: In some cases, an extra digit may be added to the end of the logic board's serial number. If none of the EEE codes listed above match the logic board you are attempting to identify, remove the last digit of the serial number and check these codes again."

Version 1 motherboard is Assembly Number 820-1093-A and is Apple Service Part number 661-2251.

Version 2 motherboard is Assembly Number 820-1094-A and is Apple Service Part number 661-2302.

my has HQT with a number on end. Here is a picture of my heatsink. (sorry for bad pic had to take it with my iSight).

photo13vb7.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is a single processor. Probably a 400MHz.

If you are going to buy a nVidia go for the GeForce 6200. Have a look at eBay. There is a dealer in HK named local338 who sells reasonable. Have purchased quite a bit from him and he is fair and fast. Here is one of his ads and a bit cheaper too for a faster card:-

http://cgi.ebay.com/FANLESS-nVidia-Geforce-6200-256mb-Mac-G4-AGP-Video-Card_W0QQitemZ260302697500QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item%20260302697500&_trkparms=72%3A1234|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%%203A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

One thing is the type of display you are going to use. Modern cards do NOT have Apple ADV fixtures anymore. If you had an Apple display and wanted that an ATI Radeon 9000 Mac Pro might be the go.

OP
G
Reaction score
I guessing i will just use my nvidia ti 4600 since it works i think it would support final cut studio 2 but i'll probably update that last if i need to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
geek if you do go with an after market CPU from Powerlogic, Mercury Extreme or whoever, OWC are pretty good, a Dual Processor will fit straight on to the three screws where you remove the existing processor no problems, so do not worry about logic boards.

Here is the link to OWC:-

Processor Upgrades for your Apple PowerMac G4 Gigabit Ethernet 400MHz (2000) at OtherWorldComputing.com

Your avatar does not give your location so presume you are in the States. if so keep an eye on the used market also such as eBay etc.

OP
G
Reaction score
Yeah, I live in US. I am wanting to get a used on but i can't find one off ebay.

I have tried all craglist list too.

I was going to sell my Intel Pentium 4 Desktop that i built not long ago, with 2.4Ghz 400Mhz FSB and up to 4GB DDR ram, SATA, etc. (it is a ASUS/HP OEM engineering mobo) but they only want to give me $25 for it.

Also i am selling some of my PC software for it: Presentation Manager Professional

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good luck and be patient and I am sure you will find a good second hand CPU upgrade and hopefully a DP and save a buck!

Have you advertised in the buying/selling pages?

OP
G
Reaction score
well i guess i ain't going to get it cause he wants $350 for a used one

OP
G
Reaction score
will a mirrored doors Processor work on a sawtooth cause i can find alot of those for about $50

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry no to update firmware it is necessary to, as stated, to be running OS 9.1, or later to 9.2.2, download from the Apple web site and install following the instructions, including using the programmer button on the front of the machine.

Again sorry a MDD processor will not fit or work in the Sawtooth - completely different architecture, system bus speed etc etc.

OP
G
Reaction score
do u think i would get in trouble with apple if i download a copy of OS 9 of the net. and use it for like 5 minutes to install update. I have a legal copy of Leopard that i am going to install

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.