Sawtooth G4 Video Card Problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Cannot advise you to pirate anything as it is both illegal and against Mac-Forums rules. Mac OS 9.1 used to be available as a free download from Apple but have not seen it for years now. 9.1 is still being sold so obviously it has some commercial value. Google about and see what you can find.

Amazon.com: Mac OS 9.1: Software

Further search has found it avaiable (0ver 70MB download) from Apple at this link:-

Mac OS 9.1: Software and Before You Install document

Do you have another Mac or access to one? Needs to be downloaded as a .dmg file, drag file to left hand column of Disk Utility and a CD burnt from there which will be bootable, pop CD in to the Sawtooth, boot holding down 'C' and you should be in business to install OS9.1, set up internet connection and go to Apple for firmware update 4.2.8.

OP
G
Reaction score
Yeah i have a intel macbook,

but that is just an update.

"Important: This software update requires you to have Mac OS 9.0 - 9.0.4 installed on your Macintosh prior to installing the update."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Drat and here I was thinking had solved your problem sorry geek.

Why not advertise in Mac Forums? There must be many thousands of OS 9 copies now redundant and surely someone can help you out?

OP
G
Reaction score
ok, do you know how i can tell what my current firmware is just to make sure it hasn't already been done?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well for that you need to go to About this Mac>More Info>Boot CD ROM version but for that you need an OS installed which I guess takes us right back to post number one?

OP
G
Reaction score
open-firmware says boot-rom is 2.4FL

there must be a way to do an update from open firmware it's just not widely known

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Geek from what I read that firmware is from the old OS 8.6 days. Have a look at this line, print it and try the download and follow the instructions. Keep us posted as this has been a long harrowing journety for you:-

Quiet, Cool and Good - CubeOwner Forums

OP
G
Reaction score
I think i've pretty much decided it would cost almost the same amount to upgrade my g4 to a decent enough mac to run Final cut pro, so i think iam going to try for a used G5 i am wanting to trade this guy, http://detroit.craigslist.org/msg/874662891.html

but Craigslist email address isn't working. How can i contact him then?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just click on his email address in the ad and Mail or your mail application should open a new email form, or copy it and enter m,anually.

The link about firmware reported you should be able to update to 4.2.8 by downloading it, burn to a CD, booting in open firmware with the CD in the optical drive and selecting the CD from open firmware and running the terminal command.

Complicated I know but did not find anything else to help. Hope the G5 comes through you will be happy with a later model now you have made that decision.

OP
G
Reaction score
i tried emailing him but i get this

raigslist remailer daemon
<[email protected]> to me

Sorry, but the craigslist user address you recently mailed ([email protected]) does not seem to be valid. It could be you're trying to respond to a very old posting, or that the user has not requested anonymous email forwarding. Please check the address and try again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.