new macbook keyboard problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook ali
hello all, got my new macbook its great but wen i press the 3 button with shift it gives me a hash sign like this # wen it should be a pound sign all the others work fine wen shifting. any ideas on what to do pls

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The MacBook keyboard for use in the US has the # sign as an upper case press for the 3 key. What kind of pound sign are you expecting? As in British Pound Sterling?

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook ali
yep as i live in england, i really need the pound sign. funny it shows a pound sign on the 3 key. how can i resolve it, any ideas

Reaction score
Go to System Preferences, and then the International Tab. After, click input menu, scroll down and select British. Make sure the "show input menu in menu bar" is checked off. Then in the menu bar click the flag, whichever country it happens to be, likely the US flag, and then select British. Or, just select British from the input menu and then uncheck the other one that was selected, likely U.S.

Hope I Helped!

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook ali
££££ yep that worked cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
yep as i live in england, i really need the pound sign. ..

This bit is quite funny :)

Glad you got it sorted now though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.