• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Wow, just wow... Post Your Election Day Experience, Nov. 4th 2008

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
My experience... I heard his speech about 8 times on the radio/tv in the half-hour after he made it. That's about it.

Australia ftw

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
Now all he (and many of you here) has to do is realize the election is over and it is actually time to govern. The easy part is over, the hard has only just begun. He now has 24 months to show he can make a difference before we look at the balance of power again. Watch the congressional approval rating. If they don't improve, there will be another shake up. I wish him luck, he's going to need it.

Good words spoken here.

Many praise Obama as this solution to something, but he is a politician just like all the others and be tested.

Sure his words can inspire, but now do his actions?

I hope so! I voted for him!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
Come on, what logical reason could you possibly have for owning an assault rifle outside of collecting them?

They're fun to shoot. And California laws are pretty stupid. You can't have a removable magazine, so it's a pain in the butt to reload. Also, by the California definition of an "assault rifle", anything with a removable magazine and a pistol grip is an assault rifle.

For the record, I've supported Obama since the beginning of his candidacy and I'm not that worried about gun control at the federal level. Democrats only made big gains by getting seats in conservative districts. There are a lot of pro-gun Democrats in Congress, and I don't think they'll vote for a new assault weapon ban.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Gun guns only works when you pass the law and then go door to door to take all the guns away. Since I don't see that happening anytime soon, we can safely assume gun bans doesn't work in deterring gun related crimes (an issue the Supreme Court agrees with). However, reasonable gun control prohibiting sale of extremely dangerous weapons is something worth considering.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
Out of curiosity, what's an "extremely dangerous weapon" and how do we keep it out of the hands of criminals?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I think if we just actually enforce and prosecute the 20,000+ gun laws already on the books, that would be a good start.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D, 2Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, ipod nano 8GB, 500GB MyBook
Now all he (and many of you here) has to do is realize the election is over and it is actually time to govern. The easy part is over, the hard has only just begun. He now has 24 months to show he can make a difference before we look at the balance of power again. Watch the congressional approval rating. If they don't improve, there will be another shake up. I wish him luck, he's going to need it.

Wow, how insightful. I'm sure Obama (and many of us here) never realized he would actually have to govern. I'll alert the media.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Wow, how insightful. I'm sure Obama (and many of us here) never realized he would actually have to govern. I'll alert the media.

Many tend to forget that the campaign ends and reality of the job kicks in. He has a tough road ahead, and many of his most vocal cheerleaders are likely going to become jaded when he doesn't do all that was promised. There is still a lot of hype, as there is with any newly elected president. It will wear off when reality sets in, it always does.

Your attempt at humor failed.

I think if we just actually enforce and prosecute the 20,000+ gun laws already on the books, that would be a good start.

That's just crazy talk. Enforcing laws doesn't get most politicians elected, looking tough making new ones does.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

I don't want to have to lock this thread, so please keep it civil. Thanks.

OP
Dysfunction
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Yes, please... I was simply impressed with turnout and involvement this year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Though not an Obama supporter, I am somewhat impressed that he mentions including Independant aligned foilks in his administration. I'd be interested to see if they are involved at a high level or simply as tolkens. I truly hope he accomplishes much more than simply holding the title "First Black U.S. President". His campaign seemed to be based on much more than that premise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini - 2.26 Ghz C2D - 2 GB RAM - 160 GB HDD
I had the worst election day ever. No, seriously.

I woke up bright and early and stood in line before the polls opened in Warren, MI. I used to go to MSU (Michigan State University) and my original voter registration is there 1.5 hours away in East Lansing. I transferred my registration to Warren, but not in time says the voting lady. Sigh...

Since it would go against my very core values not to vote, I decide to pack into my car and high-tail it to EL. On the way, almost there, literally ONE EXIT away from getting off the freeway, my car breaks down and will not start again. I have it towed (for $92) to a mechanic. I then have my friend pick me up and drive me to the polls where my actual voting experience went smoothly.

Then the mechanic calls me up.

My engine is ruined, anti-freeze leaked into certain parts (the bearings were mentioned exclusively) and I need a new engine. I have to pay $80 for the inspection and another $315 to have it towed to my uncle's shop to get the new engine on the cheap. I then have to wait for my g/f's step dad to get off work and come pick us up. We have hours to kill and cannot go inside because we brought the dog.

Told you it was the worst ever, haha! XD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
I had the worst election day ever. No, seriously.

I woke up bright and early and stood in line before the polls opened in Warren, MI. I used to go to MSU (Michigan State University) and my original voter registration is there 1.5 hours away in East Lansing. I transferred my registration to Warren, but not in time says the voting lady. Sigh...

Since it would go against my very core values not to vote, I decide to pack into my car and high-tail it to EL. On the way, almost there, literally ONE EXIT away from getting off the freeway, my car breaks down and will not start again. I have it towed (for $92) to a mechanic. I then have my friend pick me up and drive me to the polls where my actual voting experience went smoothly.

Then the mechanic calls me up.

My engine is ruined, anti-freeze leaked into certain parts (the bearings were mentioned exclusively) and I need a new engine. I have to pay $80 for the inspection and another $315 to have it towed to my uncle's shop to get the new engine on the cheap. I then have to wait for my g/f's step dad to get off work and come pick us up. We have hours to kill and cannot go inside because we brought the dog.

Told you it was the worst ever, haha! XD

Warren, MI?

What high school did you go to?

(Center Line graduate here)

OP
Dysfunction
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini - 2.26 Ghz C2D - 2 GB RAM - 160 GB HDD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
As it turns out, voter turn out this year was the same or only slightly higher than in 2004. Newly registered and Young voters only accounted for ~17% of the electorate nationwide.

That huge voter turnout? Didn't happen - U.S. Politics & Elections - Politico.com - MLive.com

They were talking about this on CNN a few days after the election. It was quite interesting to say the least. From the feel of it, it seemed like more people were out there voting, sometimes waiting upwards of 2-3 hours! That's outrageous!

But I guess it makes sense since there was a drop off of support for the McCain towards the end of the campaign and the turnout for Obama only balanced the equation. I guess there were a number of republicans that simply didn't vote. Which is a shame, one way or another, they should have voted for someone, an independent or something. In reality, voting for your senator has more implication than voting for the president, depending on where you live of course.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know a few Republicans who didn't vote at all here in Illinois. Their sentiment seem to be that Illinois was Obama's anyway. Since the electoral college votes are all or nothing by state, the 35% or whatever percent of Republican casted votes wouldn't matter anyhow. Outside Chicago, most of the Illinois seats locally are uncontested Republican, so there again voting didn't seem to matter outside Chicago. Pretty sad, but reality around here.

OP
Dysfunction
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
not all states are all or nothing. IIRC Nebraska and Maine both use proportionate electoral votes.

Even so, not voting buys you a quik trip to "I don't give a <expletive> about your opinion now"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.