No audio

Reaction score
I have a mac book pro and for some reason i cant get any sound. The volume is full and it isnt muted. When i press volume up button i get the normal volume symbol but underneath there is a little symbol, its a circle with a line though it. There is also a red light emitting from my headphone port sometimes. I have checked all my sound settings and they are normal.
Please help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Sounds like the heaphone port is "stuck". Try inserting your headphones and take the out a few times. A similiar problem happens on the iPhone sometimes and that usually fixes it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15", 2.8Ghz, 4gb, 500gb
Having the same problem. No audio from FSX, and a red light coming out of my audio jack, how to fix?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
That has happened to me. It means the logic board has probably failed and if so will need to be replaced.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, it means the headphone output is stuck in digital mode.

To ih8pc: Insert a strong (rounded) toothpick in the headphone jack and wiggle it around a bit. See if you can trip it back to normal output. You can also try your headphone jack tip - insert it and remove it several times. It might work to reset it.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
^My mistake, but when I took it in, Apple did have to replace the LB and it was the exact same problem.

Anyhow, glad you've got a solution :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro (Unibody) MB471LL/A, 15.4", 2.53 GHz, 320GB HD, 4GB RAM, 9600 GT Graphics...
I bought my first macbook pro earlier this year and shortly after installing Windows XP through boot camp, I got the red light problem with no audio. I tried all of the tricks I read and nothing worked; it was hosed. Instead of using my warranty, I just sent it back to where I purchased it from and got a new one. I installed XP again and have had no issues for the last 5 months or so.

Well, today I finally decided to upgrade to Windows 7. I deleted the partition and installed Windows 7 without issue. After the very first reboot, I now have the red light problem again and can't fix it. I want to avoid taking my laptop in to the Apple store or jamming a toothpick in there 50 million times again... it just seems silly and pointless.

I figured that a good solution would have come up by now; I guess Apple has never really addressed this problem eh? =/

Apple Store, here I come I guess...ugh!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro (Unibody) MB471LL/A, 15.4", 2.53 GHz, 320GB HD, 4GB RAM, 9600 GT Graphics...
I bought my first macbook pro earlier this year and shortly after installing Windows XP through boot camp, I got the red light problem with no audio. I tried all of the tricks I read and nothing worked; it was hosed. Instead of using my warranty, I just sent it back to where I purchased it from and got a new one. I installed XP again and have had no issues for the last 5 months or so.

Well, today I finally decided to upgrade to Windows 7. I deleted the partition and installed Windows 7 without issue. After the very first reboot, I now have the red light problem again and can't fix it. I want to avoid taking my laptop in to the Apple store or jamming a toothpick in there 50 million times again... it just seems silly and pointless.

I figured that a good solution would have come up by now; I guess Apple has never really addressed this problem eh? =/

Apple Store, here I come I guess...ugh!

Okay, I found a fix (for me anyways), but it was only because I overlooked something in the first place. It's been awhile since I've done any boot camp installing etc... and I'm a newb with MAC's anyway.

As I mentioned, I have the red light again and couldn't fix it. Well, I sorta overlooked installing the boot camp drivers from the disc when Windows 7 was initially loaded. I don't have my Snow Leopard disc with me containing Boot Camp 3.0 drivers. I did however have my old disc containing 2.1 drivers, so I installed that. It gave me a message saying that many of the drivers were incompatible with the OS etc... I ran it anyway. As it was loading the applicable drivers I watched the red light disappear and little snippets of audio take place during the installation.

This is nothing new, but it bascially confirms in my mind that this problem is probably always related to a driver issue and not a board failure. As soon as I get my other disc, I will install the boot camp 3.0 drivers to get up to date.

So for the time being...no Apple Store for me and no deleting the Windows 7 partition; unless it runs hotter than XP (as I suspect it will) :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.