Creating Shared Device Alias

Reaction score
Hi Everybody,
I'm new to Mac OS X and got a little problem creating shared device alias.
I found very useful site that helped me alot Mac Advisor - Shared Device Alias BUT ... my problem is that I dont get the "Shared Device" icon on my desktop therefore I cant make an alias. I only get te folder opened and I can add it to sidebar, nothing more. Cant drag from there nor create alias.
Where I went wrong?

Reaction score
... my problem is that I dont get the "Shared Device" icon on my desktop therefore I cant make an alias. I only get te folder opened and I can add it to sidebar, nothing more. Cant drag from there nor create alias.
Where I went wrong?

Andre,

You did nothing wrong, I forgot to make sure that users checked the Finder’s Preference Settings to make sure that the Show Connected servers on the Desktop option was selected. I have updated the page on my site. Sorry for any inconvenience you may have encountered.

-Klaus

OP
Z
Reaction score
Andre,

You did nothing wrong, I forgot to make sure that users checked the Finder’s Preference Settings to make sure that the Show Connected servers on the Desktop option was selected. I have updated the page on my site. Sorry for any inconvenience you may have encountered.

-Klaus

Now it might sound funny but I'm really new to the whole Mac OS X system and I cant find where to check "Show connected servers on desktop" :(

Reaction score

Now it might sound funny but I'm really new to the whole Mac OS X system and I cant find where to check "Show connected servers on desktop" :(

It is in the Finder Preferences. Either open a Finder window, or click anywhere on the desktop which is not covered by a window. You should now see to the right of the Apple icon, top-left-hand corner, the name Finder. Click on it to pull down the Finder menu and select Preferences to open up the Finder's Preference window. It should look like the one shown at the start of my article. Follow the rest of the instructions.

Klaus

Reaction score
Thank you for the tip. I'm new to the mac and have been trying to figure out a way to map a network drive like in windows for a while. This works perfectly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.