Best way to clone a drive daily?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
I'm looking for a daily back-up solution. For example, everything I add/erase on my primary drive I'd like to see done on my back-up drive, preferably on a nightly basis. Can Time Machine or some other software do this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Yes time machine can do this, wonderfully actually.

The only question you have to ask yourself is if you want your backup to be bootable.

Example:

If you have an external HD and make your backup using Time Machine all of your files will be on there safe and sound. However, you will have to copy them all back onto your new internal should it fail, and your system won't be exactly the same.

Carbon Copy Cloner, a nifty little program, will make a bootable copy which you could boot your mac from, then copy over directly onto your new internal, and it will be like nothing ever happened. This takes about an hour to do and it is easy to schedule. I run mine every sunday.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB memory, 160GB hard drive, Leopard, 20" Widescreen Samsung Display
The other well used clone software is SuperDuper:

SuperDuper!

I actually use both this and Time Machine, hey you can NEVER have enough backups!

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all the suggestions. Stupid question, but am I gonna have to completely re-install Leopard for this new HD? Or is there a way for Time Machine to save all my settings/preferences on an external so I can just load it onto the new HD?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Yes time machine can do this, wonderfully actually.

The only question you have to ask yourself is if you want your backup to be bootable.

Example:

If you have an external HD and make your backup using Time Machine all of your files will be on there safe and sound. However, you will have to copy them all back onto your new internal should it fail, and your system won't be exactly the same.

That's not entirely true. You can recover a system via a Time Machine backup during OS X setup.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Stupid question, but am I gonna have to completely re-install Leopard for this new HD? Or is there a way for Time Machine to save all my settings/preferences on an external so I can just load it onto the new HD?

If you get a new hard drive, as I stated above, you can use the recover from Time Machine option during OS X setup. It's essentially the same as using a clone image.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do I have to copy over the entire drive or can I just select certain folders like all my music?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Will a Time Machine save point also restore all my OS X system settings, specifically things like apps I had installed down to my color scheme?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Will a Time Machine save point also restore all my OS X system settings, specifically things like apps I had installed down to my color scheme?

Yes, it's a complete backup. All you have to do is supply a reliable external hard drive large enough to accommodate all your data, and make frequent backups.

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, it's a complete backup. All you have to do is supply a reliable external hard drive large enough to accommodate all your data, and make frequent backups.

Regards.

How much space does Leopard 10.5.6 + the usual apps (Final Cut, GB, Office) usually take up?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.