constant crashing/restarting?!?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
So for the past 16 hours or so my iPhone 3G has been constantly restarting/crashing. I called Apple Care and they have no idea. I have restored it about 15 times so far, and every time it crashes during the restore!! And for the past 6 hours or so I have been watching it, and it is averaging about 1 crash/restart every 3 minutes!:| I am really fed up with it, but it is getting quite funny. I recorded about the last half hour to show the Geniuses tomorrow, and I hope they aren't as stumped as Apple Care was/is. Who knows maybe I'll get a new one, (cause my keys accidently scratched the back the one I have right now):p

Any ideas? Or anybody having the same problem??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Did you try restoring the phone in DFU mode? also is the power button obstructed?

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea did the DFU mode restore, and nothing.. I guess I don't really understand by what you mean as it being obstructed?? But it is like any other power button.

Another thing to add to the list: -It doesn't seem to crash as often when it is off the dock

-And when it is off the dock, it is extremely laggy. Like 5-6 seconds after you slide your finger across the screen to get the app screen. And I haven't dared tried opening an app, in fear that it will crash again..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
It sounds like a trip to Apple is in order.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yup... 5:40 tomorrow... we'll see what they say.. Thanks

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So basically this is what happened when I went to the apple store:

Me: Hi, My iPhone 3G has been randomly crashing about every 3 minutes for the past day.
Genius: Ok, lets see what we can do. (I give him my iPhone, and he plugs it in.) Oh, well it looks like there is an error, and I have never seen this before. (He asks some one next to him about it, and the same answer)
Me: Ok so what's the next step?
Genius: Well I'm just going to replace it for you. Go ahead and sign this and you will be on your way.
Me: Ok, thats great. Thank you. (I sign it, and at the same time he is activating my new iPhone)
Genius: Ok here you go.
Me: Wow, thank you so much! Once again I am overly impressed with Apple's customer service!
Genius: Thanks, have a nice day!
Me: You too! thank you again!

And thats it, took about 6 minutes in total. And now I have a brand new iPhone. I am a bit depressed though, cause the one i turned in was the result of me standing in line for over 10 hours on release day.

But all in all, it wasn't a hassle at all.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well it is happening with the new iPhone too.... so I think a file on my MBP is corrupt or something... This is so frustrating.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 24, Macbook 13
Have you thought about restoring the phone's firmware using a friends computer to see if your computer is the cause?
I wouldn't think that your MBP could corrupt an iphone?

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea, when I said that I meant iTunes having a corrupt file.(Which I guess talking to the Genius today, can happen) I actually didn't even think about trying it with my iMac.:Grimmace: So basically I took it back in today, and got another iPhone, I really didn't want to, it feels like I'm ripping Apple off, but the Genius said don't worry about it. It actually turns out yesterday when I took my MBP in the Genius used didn't set it as a new phone. He used the back up from the old phone, so thats why it was doing the same thing. So now it is totally fixed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.