My Partition Problem - need help please

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Desktop running OS X Updated
Hey,

I've got a little story mixed with my problem.

My dad let me have his Mac, so I decided to rename it to my name. So, I did, and I turned it off. The next day, I came home, and it started up to a blank screen, having all default settings, none of my programs in the main bar, none of my music, etc. It just had the Hard Drive available. However, I know I did not lose these files; my Mac has a 250 GB HD, and it said only 190 GB were available. I even went under users, and it said it was still in my dad's user, (where all the programs were) and it had all my programs and files right there... even my music. I need help with how to transfer back to the other partition, where all the files are located, (so I can use the programs like LimeWire, Word, etc.) please. If u have any help, please post it. I NEED IT lol! It is a Mac Desktop (2nd to Newest Generation) with what I believe is OS X 10.4 or 10.5. Sorry if this is confusing.

Thanks, Lev.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
All is not lost! When you renamed your home folder, you actually inadvertently created a whole new user. All your original files are still there.

Here is what you need to do (this is from Apple help):

In the Finder, go to the /Users folder.
Locate the new home directory, which bears the users' short name.
Add "_new" to the new home directory's name.
Rename the old home directory to the user's correct short name.
Log out and back in with the affected user account.

Good luck!

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Desktop running OS X Updated
Thanks for the help but that is not what I need. I did that, and it basically reset my account again. I need to access those other files that I are on the original partition, without copying anything, or installing anything else over again. My computer is a iMac (2nd to newest gen). P.M. if you have any questions or help please. I need it even more now! Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.