Trasferring Data from MacPro to MacBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, 4GB DDR3, 10.5.7
Hey All,

New member here! I've been lurking for sometime now and thought I'd sign up and become a part of the community.

I've recently came across some problems. The other night, while working, my mac pro made a loud "pop" sound. After the pop it shut down and I haven't been able to turn it on since. I called a few places, including a couple of local apple stores and all sources have told me it's either my logic board or battery pack or worse, both. I've been quoted anywhere between $800 to $1200 to repair my mac pro.

Since I needed a computer asap I bought a new macbook, which is aweome! But that's not what this post is about. I need to get my info off of my two hard drives inside the mac pro and into the new macbook. The apple store quoted me $50 per drive. Is there anyway I can do this myself? If so, what will I need and what will I have to do?

I really appreciated ANY help or input. I thank you in advance =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
If you can pick up some external enclosures you can put the drives in there and then plug them in via USB to your new MB. It will cost you about the same though.

The computer won't boot at all is what you are saying, right?

OP
lemondime
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you can pick up some external enclosures you can put the drives in there and then plug them in via USB to your new MB. It will cost you about the same though.

The computer won't boot at all is what you are saying, right?

External enclosures, huh? Just go to (enter computer store name here) and pick up any external HD enclosure? It'll have all the necessary wiring? Any that you can recommend? Excuse my computer noobie-ness =P

Yeah, it's completely dead.

Thanks for the reply lifeafter2am! Appreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Not really, they are all pretty much the same. I haven't had any problems with any one particular brand. You need to make sure that the external enclosures are made for the drives you have though; ie IDE if they are IDE drives, SATA if they are SATA drives. Beyond that all you really do is put the drive in the case, and plug it in to the computer.

OP
lemondime
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not really, they are all pretty much the same. I haven't had any problems with any one particular brand. You need to make sure that the external enclosures are made for the drives you have though; ie IDE if they are IDE drives, SATA if they are SATA drives. Beyond that all you really do is put the drive in the case, and plug it in to the computer.

Picked up some cheap-o one at Fry's and I'm transferring files as I type. Thank you very much:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.