• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Final Cut Pro Output Quality

Reaction score
I am trying to mask out some information (SSN) on a screen captured avi file using FCP. I can mask out the information using a gaussian blur just fine, but when I go to save and recreate the video file, the final version looks like crap. It is no where near as crisp and clean as the original file. The rest of the text is barely readable. Can anyone help as this is supposed to be on the director's desk by noon tomorrow. The original file is 114mb and as sharp as a knife.

I have tried several ways - by exporting it thru QT Conversion back into an avi file, and I have also tried exporting it to Compressor as an mp4. But as I said, the quality just is not there.

Thanks in Advance, and remember to vote. Doesnt matter who you vote for, just vote for who you believe in!!

Shawn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
This geniusdv link might be helpful. I thought there was something like that in FCP, but I think that was for copying back to tape. You could look at your Sequence --> 'Settings...' and the 'Render Control' tab.

Also, I'd avoid using AVI files and would have converted it to something friendlier to FCP. It's just an opinion, but from seeing other messages, it seems using AVI files can cause problems.

You didn't say what format (AVI is generic) and size the original file is or what you were exporting to. Maybe either of those are issues. Also, the export bit rate you use has a large influence on quality.

As for voting, remember that many many people here are from many places around the world. Perhaps the majority of people reading your post don't have a vote tomorrow, assuming you are referring to the U.S. election.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.