Macbook Pro fan issue

Reaction score
Hi,

My right fan on my 17" Macbook Pro has started acting up. It keeps running at around 7000 RPM while my left fan is running at a normal 2000 RPM. However, whenever I press down on the area around the right fan, the fan's RPM drops to the normal 2000.

What could be the cause of this issue? Is it bad for the fan to always be running at 7000 RPM? If not, I could just set the left fan speed to always run at 7000 RPM as well to enforce symmetrical performance, right?

Also, is there any way to fix this problem without replacing the fan? If not, is there some temporary solution that would limit the max fan speed to around 2000?

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch Macbook Pro 2 GHz Core Duo 2 GB of Ram: 20 inch iMac 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 3 GB Ram
I think the fan issue is problem. I have one as well. My left fan started making a crazy sound one day and it blew up and now does not run. My right one is starting to make the same noise. Luckily i am getting a new one this week, but im nervous about backing up everything since the left fan is teh one that cools the hard drive.

In terms of fixing it try using smc fan control and see if u can override the factory settings. Other than that hopefully someone else might have another solution.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.