Second iphone connection problems

Reaction score
Hi
My husband connected his iphone to My imac (under his own account log in) with no problems, i just got my iphone today but cant seem to sync it with itunes and activate it !....this is under my own, separate imac account.....i'm sure there must be an easy solution....i just dont know what it is !!!

Any body help ?

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Try restarting the iMac with the iPhone connected, then log in.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice
No luck unfortunately......i plug it in to the mac but itunes just wont open....if i open it manually there is no iphone recognized !?

Typical ! you wait so long for a gadget....when you get it, you cant make the thing work !!! just my luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is the iPhone charged and does it charge?
Are you using the USB in the back of the Mac?
Have you tried his cable or his account?
Do you have another PC to try? (or a friends?)
Sorry if the qustions are odd, trying to figure why one would work and not the other...

OP
J
Reaction score
Is the iPhone charged and does it charge?
Are you using the USB in the back of the Mac?
Have you tried his cable or his account?
Do you have another PC to try? (or a friends?)
Sorry if the qustions are odd, trying to figure why one would work and not the other...

It's charged fully
yes, the port at the back of the mac
I've tried his lead and account and i've even used my old pc too
and no, the questions are perfectly valid....its just an odd thing to happen, i think i'll just call up my service provider in the morning and let them try and figure it out ...after i've tried again of course !

Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry it's not working for you. I know how you feel! :(
If his works and not yours, then definitely have it looked at.

Also try to put it recovery mode. Turn it off then Press and HOLD the Home button, then plug it in to your iMac. Continue to hold the home button, until you see the Dock cable pointing to the iTunes icon. Then open iTunes, if it's not already. If all goes well, it will show up for it to be restored.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi
I've just done (or am in the process of doing the restore)
itunes suddenly recognized there was a phone present!

i'll let you know how it goes !
Good start tho !

Thanks for the tip

OP
J
Reaction score
Noooooooo !@*!
Now it's totally broken !
itunes now gives me an error message " the iphone could not be restored, an unknown error occurred (1611)
and the phone is stick on the tunes/ usb lead image ...halfway through a restore

Great !...im off to cry into my pillow

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you tried holding the power and home button together? It normally forces it to power off. (takes 5-10 sec) if so, you may be able to try the restore again.

I'm sorry your having so many problems. The good news, if the phone won't work, Apple will replace it. Not what you want to hear right now, but it's better to find out sooner than later... Is there a local Apple store near you?

Let me know what happens?

OP
J
Reaction score
Hello again

Well....things are much brighter after a good nights sleep !

I feel very stupid !!!!
I think i've identified the problem !.....i left my itunes open on my work mac (what an idiot!!) i think this was the cause of all my problems.....as soon as i arrived at work i plugged my phone in to finish the restore process, no problem, the phone is ready to be activated too !

Now before i do this i have one more question.
If i sync/activate my phone on my work machine (running my itunes account) will it then sync ok with my account/machine at home ? ....providing that i remember to shut down itunes on on the work machine ?!

P.S Soulwar, thank you so much for your invaluable help last night, a pleasure to deal with a decent forumer !

Thank you so much.....now if you can just send some of that Florida sun my way too!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello again

Well....things are much brighter after a good nights sleep !

I feel very stupid !!!!
I think i've identified the problem !.....i left my itunes open on my work mac (what an idiot!!) i think this was the cause of all my problems.....as soon as i arrived at work i plugged my phone in to finish the restore process, no problem, the phone is ready to be activated too !

Now before i do this i have one more question.
If i sync/activate my phone on my work machine (running my itunes account) will it then sync ok with my account/machine at home ? ....providing that i remember to shut down itunes on on the work machine ?!

P.S Soulwar, thank you so much for your invaluable help last night, a pleasure to deal with a decent forumer !

Thank you so much.....now if you can just send some of that Florida sun my way too!!
Really glad to hear things are working out for you! :)

To answer your question, you can activate on any computer and then sync with another later.

As far as using one account on 2 computers, I do the same myself. One for music and the other for contacts, calender, mail, etc...

You'll have options to select what you want to sync and what you don't. Select your iPhone in iTunes and on the main page, go thru your options before you sync.

And thanks for the kind words!:Blushing: Sunshine on the way!!:Cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.