2ghz dual core vs 2.5ghz dual processor

Reaction score
Hello All!

I have two "hand-me-down" PM G5 towers and I need your help in deciding which one to keep and which to sell one off. The first is a 2.0ghz dual-core with 533mhz ram and pci-e graphics with a GF6600LE. The second is a 2.5ghz dual processor with 400mhz ram and pci-x graphics with a R9600XT. Besides this, the ports and other m/b components seem to be the same but I'll keep the better optical drive and power supply from the 2.0ghz DC. Which is going to be the faster (and potentially more upgradable) machine?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
The dual core G5 is the newer and more upgradeable machine - I'd keep that.

DDR2 is faster, PCI-e graphics are faster and all modern upgrade cards are PCI-e now too. I really doubt you'd notice the a massive drop in speed and also on the plus side you won't have liquid cooling so that couldn't leak either. ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.