Transferring VMware VM between computers?

Reaction score
I have recently started using VMware Fusion 2.0 as my Virtual Machine application of choice, having previously used Parallels Desktop. I wanted to know how I can go about transferring (i.e. copying) my Windows XP Virtual Machine (that I've setup and installed all my apps on) from my MacPro computer to my MacBook computer...so that I don't have to go through the arduous process of reinstalling every single program all over again?

When I was using Parallels Desktop, it was a simple as copying the Virtual Machine between computers, and then changing a couple small configuration options for the VM (such as RAM used, Default CD Drive, etc...) before actually running the VM on the other computer.

It seems that the process isn't quite as simple when I've tried transferring my VMware Fusion VM, as attempting to do so and then making a couple small settings adjustments to the VM, and then launching the VM results in my computer slowing to a crawl, and the VM also gives me a notice that a considerable amount of hardware has changed on my VM's platform and that I will have to re-authenticate the Windows XP OS within three days to be able to continue using it.

Unfortunately I don't even have the ability to do so because it never actually gets to the point where the icons show up on my desktop of the Windows VM and I can actually use it - rather, it remains such on a blank screen showing nothing other than the default windows wallpaper, at which point my computer (the whole computer, not just the VM) slows to a crawl and I have to force shutdown by holding down the power button for a couple seconds??

Anyone have any idea how to properly go about copying my VM between my laptop and desktop machines so that I don't run into these problems? Thanks!

OP
M
Reaction score
OK, I am not really sure, but I got it working...I just restarted the VM, and it didn't lock up this time. That's good news, but I have run into a bit of a snag that maybe someone might be able to help out with...

Every time I try to click on the 'My Documents' folder which is on the desktop of my VM it gives me the following error message:

vmware_error.png

I do have the VM Settings configured to "Share Folders On My Mac", and I have all of the "Mirrored Folders" checkboxes checked. I tried repairing the installation of VM Tools, which says that it should fix any erroneous links and whatnot, but I am still unable to resolve this issue?

Any thoughts on how I can go about fixing this problem so that when I open the my documents folder on my desktop it opens up to show me the contents of the "Documents" folder in my Mac's 'Home' folder?

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.