Software updates for my old Mac

Reaction score
I have a question regarding software updates, but please bear with me as I am a bit of a technophobe!

I have a G5 iMac, OSX 10.3.9 (I bought it back in 2004). It has taken a heck of a lot of use over the past 4 years (8+ hours almost every day) and to be honest it probably hasn't got much juice left in it, but I'm hoping it'll keep going a bit longer.

I have noticed lately, that I seem to be having more and more problems with running software. In particular, Safari and Firefox seem to be really struggling. They both crash on a very regular basis and seem to struggle to open certain websites at all (I am using Safari 1.3.2 and Firefox 1.0.6). I wondered whether this might be because they are such old versions, so I checked out the downloads on the Apple website to see if I could get the newer versions, but my operating system won't support them, it's too old!

I am wondered whether it is possible to get newer versions than the ones I am using, but not as new as the current versions, because obviously my computer can't handle the latest ones! Would this even help? Or do I have to face facts and retire the old boy and upgrade to something better?

Hope someone can advise! Thanks very much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
First, I would recommend downloading OnyX. It's free. Your iMac may just need some required maintenance. Run the maintenance scripts, clear caches, repair permissions, etc..
Also, what are the specs for your iMac? (processor, screen size, ram installed, HD space left, Etc..)
You may want to consider just upgrading the OS. I'm running a 1GHz G4 iMac/1.5 GB ram w/Leopard and it still runs quite well.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Hi Gemma - I'm using 10.3.9 on a G3 350, so I don't expect it to break speed records. I also use FFox 2.0.0.17, so I doubt that the version is affecting your G5 with its superior processor. Likewise I have Safari 1.3.2 but don't use it. There are usually archives of previous free standalone software applications, so a Google search may help you in that respect.

You can clear out the browser caches and cookies via the browser applications themselves, but I agree entirely with Soulwar about Onyx. It is a top-shelf maintenance utility that should improve the general running performance of your iMac once its done its thing with repairing permissions, running maintenance scripts, clearing caches etc.

Keep us posted on any progress.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I would also consider buying a second hand retail copy of 10.4 Tiger, or maybe even Leopard 10.5 if you have1 gig of ram.

You will find that either actually run better than 10.3 Panther and you will also be able to run the latest versions of Safari and Firefox

OP
G
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks very much for your replies. I will definitely try OnyX first. In terms of the specs for my Mac, it's a 20", 1.8Ghz, 1GB ram, 160GB HD (113GB available), superdrive G5 with GeForce FX 5200 (64MB). In light of your replies, I may well look into upgrading the OS too. I didn't realise my Mac would be able to cope with that! I'll let you know how I get on!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.