Wireless or not?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
I want to go wireless but I'm not sure what specs I need.
I'm assuming I have to have a wireless card of some sort installed into my ibook... is this correct? And how do I know if I have it?
If I don't have it, can I get one installed? or am I plumb out of luck :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
MACyMouse said:
I want to go wireless but I'm not sure what specs I need.
I'm assuming I have to have a wireless card of some sort installed into my ibook... is this correct? And how do I know if I have it?
If I don't have it, can I get one installed? or am I plumb out of luck :(

The easiest way would be to use an AirPort card, though they have been discontinued and are becoming a little more difficult to find. Once you have the card, it's extremely easy to install. If you somehow aren't sure if you already have an AirPort card installed, click on the Apple in your Menu bar and select About This Mac -> More Info... -> Hardware -> AirPort Card

P

Phiber

So, when you bought your computer did you look at what you were buying or did you just give them the money?

It should say if you have wireless capabilities in the literature you recieved with the computer.

OP
MACyMouse
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
I bought the iBook off Ebay... didn't have any intentions of using it for wireless, just basically some "take-home" graphic design work. But lately have been using it a little more than I had intended.

It's not a big deal if I can't put one in, I"m not at a great loss, but thanks for the info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yep, an airport card is what you want, but make sure it's an older "Airport" card, not one of the newer "Airport Extreme" cards as they won't fit your machine.

Should cost around $100,- maybe a bit more...

If you want airport, I'd try to buy it now, before you can't find them anymore.

Alternatively you might find a usb wireless LAN dongle somewhere, but that isn't as elegant as an internal solution.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.